Are there ANY mac recovery and repair disks like in Windows?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pawgod, Apr 5, 2013.

1. pawgod

pawgod MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    hi, ive been really digging OS X lately and im thinking of doing a hackintosh, ive already found all the software id need to use it on a day to day basis and stuff, so should i succeed i might be able to use it as my main OS! :D but for the life of me i cant figure out what i'd do if i f up the system and need to repair it or salvage stuff from it, according to wikipedia most linux live cds dont play too well with the HFS+/HFS filesystem and sometimes it cant even ruin it, so that makes pretty much every non WinPE rescue disk useless for fixing a mac, so whats left? i really cant see myself using a system knowing that i wont be able to repair it should it get bricked, any ideas here guys?

2. unimatrix725

unimatrix725 MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2010
    I use Snow Leopard Pro 911 boot disk. It is available from major torrent sites, it includes many apps within it for recovery, etc. It allows you to fully boot a broken Mac System and do whatever is needed. You can do like me and image it to a partition near end of disk or burn it to dvd, however it will be slower to use. You can even use it as a base os and go from there, would not be a great idea to go that route. Also note by using SLP911 you "Agree" that you have licences for all software or will "delete" it.... ;)

3. pawgod

pawgod MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    Lol thank you unimatrix! didnt expect id get another reply so long after this post xD i hope its testable in VirtualBox though, its nice to know what to expect from a boot cd instead of it being a surprise the first time you use it haha.