Are there any performance differences between connecting Ethernet line with a coupler or keystone?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by RemixDeluxe, Nov 20, 2017.

1. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2015
    I'm having an Ethernet line installed to a bedroom from where the modem is in the living room. I want this to look professional and not simply have a hole in the wall with a cable coming through, that would be barbaric. I did some looking around for all the parts I'll need like the cable itself (cat 6 btw), punch down tool, wall cutter, crimper. But when I was looking for wall plates I noticed there are plates that take away the work of stripping the cable and punching the wiring into a keystone. This seems like a dream come true but is it too good to be true? Is there any hindrance by wiring it through this F/F coupler rather than taking the time to strip the wire and manually punching into a keystone? I assume the results are the same but I'd like to know for sure, I dont do Ethernet installation often enough to know if this is the way to go.

2. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2015
    Anyone?

3. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Usually there's no performance difference. But the F/F coupler are more prone to failure if your cable isn't well secured on both ends. They can become loose and stop having connectivity or fallback to 100mbps without you noticing. For a more reliable solution, use the "traditional" wall plates

4. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2015
    Thank you TigTex for the input.

Last question and I apologize if this comes off as tinfoil hat crazy.

I'm looking to buy 100ft of Cat 6 cable but how can I be sure what I'm buying is truly cat 6 aside from what it says on the cable jacket? I've seen Amazon reviews where people were scammed and duped into buying 5e when the listing said 6. Is there any sort of machine where you can plug in both ends of the cable and gives you a 100% result of what the Ethernet category is?

What else should I look out for when seeking Cat 6 cable?

I'm just trying to avoid getting scammed, thanks.

5. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Go to home depot they sale them their 100% legit.

6. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2015
    I actually was at Home Depot last week for a DIY project I was working on and they do not sell Ethernet cable. Do you know any trusted Brands or listings on Amazon?

Also is there any other details I should be concerned about other than the cable being Cat6. (Shielded, etc)