Are there workaround to actually upgrade from Xp 64 bit to Vista 64 bit?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by ThunderRiver, Jul 1, 2013.

1. ThunderRiver

ThunderRiver MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    I was under the impression that Microsoft has always supported direct upgrade from 64 to 64 bit until I agreed to perform an upgrade for my friend's computer, going from Xp 64 bit Professional to Vista 64 bit Home Premium (The eventual goal is to reach Windows 7 64 bit)

At least according to the Microsoft Knowledge Base KB932795, upgrading from 64 bit Xp to 64 bit Vista is not supported, as it asks you to perform a Vista clean installation instead. If I try to upgrade Vista, I receive the following message "Upgrade has been disabled. You must run a 32-bit version of Windows Xp with Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista"

I did a ton of Google search, and no one seem to be asking the question. But are there any registry hacks or workarounds that will fool Vista 64 bit into a true upgrade (that also migrates Programs over).

Thanks

2. solarstone2149

solarstone2149 MDL Member

Dec 11, 2009
    upgrading OS 2 times is just asking for trouble
    you're better off doing clean format and go directly to win7 x64

and by the time you upgrade to these 2 OS-es (under assumption you manage to do it), you already wasted time you could install all those programs on clean install

don't forget that upgrading from XP to Vista is a long ass process, knowing to take up to several hours

3. Amanda_L

Amanda_L MDL Junior Member

Feb 9, 2013
    I don't believe this. Look on Youtube, there's a video of a guy upgrading from Windows 1.0 (or is it 3.0) to Windows 7 (or 8, can't remember).

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Whether you believe it or not its true, far better with clean installation.