Ask for advice for buying a laptop

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by irmaZ21, Dec 10, 2013.

1. irmaZ21

irmaZ21 MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2013
    Hallo, I want to buy a PC / laptop and ask for suggestions to choose. whether that be in priority RAM or CPU? I want to rebuild the ideal laptop. bluescren too often happens in old laptop. Thanks

2. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #3 tonto11, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    I never buy new, 2 years old or older, off lease is good, they're generally well looked after.
    Max cpu you can find, Max usb ports you can find, Ram doesn't matter, you can always add that later, Hard drive doesn't matter , you can add a big one later, or add a usb hard drive. Look at ebay for the model you're considering, and see which manufacturers are most numerous, then you can start narrowing the field. I'm partial to Dell Latitude, they've got metal cases, heavy, but if they get dropped they don't fly to pieces.

...T

4. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    it depends on what you are planning to do with the laptop..

general email/web browsing like a 80 year old, gaming like a 12 year old.. etc..

if its nothing too intense then any of the moderately priced intel celeron's or amd a4-a6 would suffice.. if you need something a little more powerful than an intel i3-i5 or amd a8-a10.. of course it depends on your budget...

stay away from any of the "E" series AMD cpus.. you can barely send email with those. for the same price you can get a modern celeron..

so it really depends on what you plan on doing.. but without any gaming youd be pretty much set with -anything-..... if you are in the US then you can get nice (basic) laptops for $300-400 any day of the week..

oh yeah-- laptops in that range will generally have 4gb ram.. and it's cheaper to upgrade it to 8gb from newegg than buying it retail.... doesn't matter what you do, 8gb is a nice starting point to have.. so buy a $300 laptop with 4gb and a $20-30 4gb upgrade...