ASK : Software to check Hash (md5/sha1) from server before download

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ayampetok, May 26, 2010.

1. ayampetok

ayampetok MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2009
    I know programs to check file hash like HashCalc etc.
    I can check the hash after I download the file.
    Is there any programs to check hash from server before I download it?
    I mean, if I got a download link, could I check the file hash before I download, or is it maybe impossible as the server don't provide it?

2. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    I'm afraid no.

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    It can't be possible, if the uploader don't supply any of the hashes............ o_O

4. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    It's technicaly possible but then the hash calc tool has to run on the server and that gives a lot of server load, so no it's not possible. I like the principle however, check hash the first time a file comes on the server and keep it until the file gets changed. This way users can always check hashes from every file (even html files). But it's indeed not possible except if you can install such a ting on the server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    This is how i do it on sites... once a file (i am not talking big iso's here) is uploaded calculate hash, store in database so uploader/downloader can verify checksums

6. ayampetok

ayampetok MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2009
    Thanks for the reply everyone..
    Seems like hash check only possible on server side.
    I thought it will be alot easier to find mirrors for files with hash check rather than file names..:p
    now I know its not possible.. o_O

thanks again for the info.

7. vartaxe

vartaxe MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2008
    maybe there's a way to get a aproximative hash if we download the first and last mb of the file, of course it would not be the full hash but still could be usefull no?

8. DKane

DKane MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I just ROFL'd. I know it might seem sensible to you vartaxe, but that's one of the funniest things I've heard from a n00b in a long time.

The hash of one file and another that differ by *one bit* are completely different, that's basically the whole point of hashes.

9. JCLB

JCLB MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2009
    When you don't have a hash on the website, the only way to be sure there had not been corruption during data transfer and storage process is to download the files 2 times and compare them, I would advise you to use HashTab instead of HashCalc, it integrates in windows explorer file's properties pane.

10. vartaxe

vartaxe MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2008
    well congrats...

did i say the inverse?