Aspire 5737z keeps dying

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by tcntad, Jul 7, 2019.

1. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Hi
    I'm not sure whether this is the correct forum to post in but its definitely hardware related so here goes.

My girls laptop kept throttling and dying at bout 80c. I brought it home, took it apart, removed dust and changed thermal paste for CPU and GPU.

The old W7 installation boots fine and temps are much better now than before (Disk and CPU idles at about 50c but the chipset is about 60c)

This was all done on a anti static mat. Here's the not so funny part.

As W7 is old and outdated I grabbed an SSD I have lying around and tried both booting from the network (MDT) and USB but the computer shuts down at random times

This morning it actually completed the MDT installation but died right before a reboot.
    It doesn't matter how far into the process it gets or what it does but Im starting to think it shutdown beacuse of high load.

It could also be a power related issue, the battery is almost dead and the laptop always need external power.

Any ideas at all?

2. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    The acer 5737z uses a big thick thermal pad to cool the chipset and it dries up quickly.
    If you put thermal paste instead of a thermal pad, the chipset doesn't have any cooling at all and the system will shutdown because the paste is not thick enough. Find a way to buy a high quality thermal pad that fills the gap between the heatspreader and the die and it should fix it. You can also use a 0.5mm copper shim like I did on mine. Avoid doing that many thermal shutdowns because you can kill the nvidia mcp (chipset) and end up with a laptop with no image.

3. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Thanks for answering.
    I didnt touch the thermal pads or the chipset but Speccy says it idles in mid 50c. I only changed on CPU and GPU.
    I dont have the means to change the thermal pads yet

4. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    #4 tcntad, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    (OP)
    I went out and bought some thermal pads and switched the old ones. Now Im having completely other issues.
    It wont even boot Windows from the old HDD, it cant PXE boot (Black screen, underscore if at all) and trying boot from a USB3 it just dies

Edit. ets go back to the original topic..