Aspire 5930G cannot recovery bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by elkangri, Mar 6, 2011.

1. elkangri

elkangri MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2011
    hello friends... im exhausted of trying to fix my laptop... im going to explain you what is the problem...

One day when get at home i tryed to power on my acer aspire 5930G but i couldnt... everytime i tried to power on the laptop the led nearest to the power button started to blink and it sounded like it were restarting itself all the time... and never appeared anything on the display... blinking and blinking...... so i read on the internet it could be a bios problem and ive been trying all these days to fix it... but it seems impossible... ive been using a 1 GB USB STICK and all the phoenix bios recovery methods that i read on the web... but nothing... sometimes when i use the FN+ESC combination it seems to start the process bcos nothing happens but the led stop blinking and seems its "thinking" for a looong time... so i power on the laptop again and the blinking process start again........ nothing fixed.... i would appreciate all the help you can give me...

thanks

Mark

2. gandarin

gandarin MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2009
    #2 gandarin, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. elkangri

elkangri MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2011
    So use the ROM file of my version 5930G from this link?

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/7500-All-Slics-2.1-(Modded-Bios-List)-Note-For-requests-use-Bios-Mod-Requests-section

thanks for your reply

4. skyris

skyris MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2011
    I need your help, i have the same problem on my acer 5930g as you did. It keeps restarting with the screen off. The recovery method won't work, i've tried cd-roms, usb sticks, floppy drives! Did you do anything to fix this problem? Any information would be helpful!

5. ldsishere

ldsishere MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2011
    I do not think an automated recovery is possible with the ACER 5930. Hopefully this will help you out.

The following information is taken from the “Aspire 5930/5930Z/5730Z Series Service Guide”

BIOS Recovery by Crisis Disk

BIOS Recovery Boot Block:
    BIOS Recovery Boot Block is a special block of BIOS. It is used to boot up the system with minimum BIOS initialization. Users can enable this feature to restore the BIOS firmware to a successful one once the previous BIOS flashing process failed.

BIOS Recovery Hotkey:
    The system provides a function hotkey: Fn+Esc, for enable BIOS Recovery process when system is powered on during BIOS POST. To use this function, it is strongly recommended to have the AC adapter and Battery present. If this function is enabled, the system will force the BIOS to enter a special BIOS block, called Boot Block.

Steps for BIOS Recovery by Crisis Disk:
    Before doing this, one Crisis Disk should be prepared ready in hand. The Crisis Disk could be made by executing the Crisis Disk program in another system with Windows XP OS.

Follow the steps below:
    1. Power Off system.
    2. Insert the Crisis Disk to a USB floppy drive which is attached to the BIOS flash failed machine.
    3. In the power-off state, press Fn+Esc and hold them and then press Power Button. The system should be powered on with Crisis BIOS Recovery process.
    4. BIOS Boot Block starts to restore the BIOS code from the Crisis floppy disk to BIOS ROM on the failed machine.
    5. If the Crisis flashing process is finished, the system will restart.
    If the Crisis Recovery process is finished, the system should be powered on with successful and workable BIOS. Then a person can update the latest version BIOS for this machine by regular BIOS flashing process.

Note the words "If this function is enabled". I opened the 1.23 version of the 5930 BIOS with the Phoenix BIOS editor and the "boot fail recovery" option was not enabled. It is my understanding that if this option is not enabled you will not be able to recover with a crisis disk.

I flashed a bad BIOS on a Gateway P-7811 (I posted it in this forum) and had this problem. If your problem is the BIOS then you will have to remove the current chip and have it reprogrammed or order a pre-programmed chip to put back on the motherboard. This is not an easy task as you need to know how to get the laptop's motherboard out, then remove and soldier a surface mount chip. Figuring out how to get the chip programmed is an adventure in it self and one I am now undertaking. I know this is not what you wanted to hear but it will save you from pulling your hair out trying all kinds of craziness like I had to do on my laptop.

I would be willing to email you the service manual if you would like as I cannot post links.

6. skyris

skyris MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2011
    Thank you very much for your extensive reply. I had already changed the bios chip (i forgot to mention that:p) with one that i bought from ebay, that had my bios preistalled, or at least they said it had. But the problem remains.
    The problem started when the laptop beginned to completely freeze, periodically. I tried to update the bios thinkin that this would fix the problem. But the laptop froze againg during the flashing, and when i restarted it, it had the problem that i described previously. I think i could order a bios chip again, but with the crisis recovery enabled this time. Or it could be worse, and the big "ene" chip which is also the controller for the bios is completely shot. o_O

7. ldsishere

ldsishere MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2011
    Skyris,

Do you know anything about electronics, using a multimeter and reading schematics? I found the schematics for that machine that I could send you if you want to try and trace down the issue. I have also found ifixit.com to be a source of information on hardware problems. I have no affiliation with the site, I just use it for information just as I do this one.

8. skyris

skyris MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2011
    Yes of course, i am an engineerer. the schematics would be very heplful not only for repair but also as a learning tool. after i read your post on another thread, i am going to try to program my old bios chip with an SPI programmer. I havent built one yet but i will post the results, if this works! And speaking of schematis, do you know where i could find one for Aspire 5630? or HBL50-LA6, this one wont work at all, and the problem is on the voltage regulators on the motherboard.

9. ldsishere

ldsishere MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2011
    I may have found the schematics you need for the 5630. It has these numbers HBL51 LA-3081P and HBL50 LA-2921 on it. Anyway I sent you a message through the forums if your are interested.

10. Maho007

Maho007 MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2012
    Hello, im French sorry for my poor english have you confirmed that the problem is voltage regulator ? I have the same problem how to flash the embedded controller ec.rom ene chip when he is erased , and the bios is correct ?