Aspire One D250 Kav60 Flash freeze

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by eh, May 23, 2013.

1. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    Hi,

After reformatting the hard drive due to a virus problem and installing xp sp3 the netbook bricked.

Have tried various usb flash options to revive the bios. From 2g flash drive, 512mb, 128mb to 32mb micro disk using the Hp format and wincris tool without success.

The usb flickers and then stops with the light on. Seems if the process is stopping during the flash. The netbook does not reboot.

Have tried the official Acer manual instructions as well as many other options on the net.

I have changed the ram from 1g to 2g that worked perfectly before. Could this be a factor in flashing the bios.

I am now trying to find the replacement fd file name.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  3. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    Thanks for the reply.

Have the manual, tried that and the thread above with cleaning the ram and the SD card.

Have obtained the original 1g ram will replace the 2g with that and try.

Opened up the AO D250 and replaced the cmos battery as well.

Using open office and a hex editor tried finding a another file name in place of the KAV60 and KAV00.

Is there a generic file in place of the KAV .fd files.

At wits end. The netbook functions, just does not complete the flashing.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #4 LatinMcG, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
    plug in a formated fat32 sd card.. sometimes they work that way... its on post of first link. ( i think its cause it counts it as a bootable device so it stop at it)

edit re explanation.. someone in that thread specified that he could not post or boot due to no SD card in slot.. he inserted one and its blank just formatted and it boots .. lol

5. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    Tried again with formatted fat32. Card reader flickers and after a minute stops with light on. Does not complete flashing.

Will get a new card reader.

Inserted old Samsung 1g ram but there is not even flickering.

Is there not another name for the d250 KAV files (that can be found by andyp's phoenix tool) that could be used for flashing.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    According to instructions you are supposed to press The Power button after The Power button flashes orange once.

7. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    Yes, battery out, power out, mem stick in, press fn and esc,power in, orange flash, press power on.

Am using three card readers now with mini, micro cards. Two single and a multi card reader. On one one initial flah and the no lights, another flickering and then after 15 sec frozen with light on. On third multicard reader flickers for about a minute then freezes with light on.

Different outcomes one 256 mb Kingston mini sd card.

8. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    Got the platform.ini file open. No model name but platformnames AA and BB will try renaming KAV60 with them.

Reading ini file that comparisons might be made with the present bios file. If the present bios is problamatic that could cause the bios flashing to freeze. Any way to to change the flashing instructions.
    Any programs that could edit that. Thanks

9. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    The search continues.

Obtained a hynix 1g ram. Using stemcell's files. Now the flashing on the card reader continues. 30 min in. Will let it run for another 30m.

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    card reader isnt for the flashing bios.. its to test if it had a bug with no booting due to it.. read other thread well.

bios recovery in USB stick.

11. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    Thanks will do.

12. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    Have read other thread. Tried formatted SD card in sd card reader in netbook. Tried usb stick 2gb. Do not have smaller and that is why the usb card reader is used with smaller sd cards. Flashing continues. Opened AO D250 again, checked wiring and cables, checked battery. Will have to investigate other options now. Perhaps a forced flash instruction if there is something like that, should be.
    Input is appreciated.

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You are supposed to put SD card in reader and USB flash drive formatted to Fat in USB port. Download the latest BIOS, and put both FLAs**t.EXE and the BIOS file in the root directory of the usb flash drive . Do NOT rename the BIOS file, it should be KAV60.fd, and if you search google you can still get flash drives under 2 GB.

14. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    Thank you have not tried both simultaneously. Will obtain 1g flash drive.

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I would try with SD card and your 2gb flash drive formatted to Fat32 first you've nothing to loose if it don't work then get 1GB flash drive and format it to FAT.

16. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    Thanks.

Obtained an adata 1g usb flash drive,formatted to fat, FLAs**t.EXE and KAV60.FD (Bios 1.29) on it. SD card in Card Reader. Battery out, Power out, Press power for 30s to drain, usb flash in, press fn and esc, power in, orange flash, release fn and esc after 5s, Usb flashes, now for about 15m.

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Now you have 1GB flash drive have you tried without SD card only a suggestion I am only going with information posted I do not have Aspire One D250.

18. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i have recovered kav60 (1yr ago i think).. try different versions of bios.

19. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    That could be the whole problem from what iv'e read the latest version is bugged.

20. eh

eh MDL Novice

May 23, 2013
    Thanks. Still flashing lol about 6 hours. I have downloaded all the bios files. Will again start using them today. The positive thing is with the 1g ram it does not freeze up but continues with the flashing.
    Thanks again for all input. I am getting to know the inside of the AO d250 pretty well, lol.

I am from sunny South Africa and we have a lot of cheap imports here. You never quite know if the stuff you are buying is genuine or not.