Asrock N68C-S ucc modded flash bricked board

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by bobbee12, Apr 1, 2012.

1. bobbee12

bobbee12 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    Modded the correct bios file with a dell slic. Ami tool successfully modded using ssv3. Put the modded file on a usb drive and used the Asrock "instant flash" but ended up bricked. (I didn't "preflash" because the bios file was already up to date-maybe this was my mistake??). Any suggestions on why it bricked? Everything seemed to be going so well, lol.

2. thatguychuck

thatguychuck MDL Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I've modded a few of those boards and used the same Asrock flash (Even though everyone always screams flash from dos.) So I know that it does work. As I understand it though, it's just part of what makes the bios hard mod so dangerous, sometimes things just get fouled up. I hope you can get it resolved! That is a great replacement board to keep on hand. Very versatile.

3. bobbee12

bobbee12 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    Thanks for the reply!
    Which slic did you use?
    Yeah, this is a great board for a budget build with the socket options and mem slots for ddr2 or ddr3. It also has a removable bios chip. Ordering a couple for backup. I gotta figure out the flash issue. I'll try DOS next. Hopefully just a one time problem maybe.

4. thatguychuck

thatguychuck MDL Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I used one as a test bed for a while, HP, dell, a few others, I don't remember them all.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I am quite sure the BIOS has been modded correctly with ssv3. The method is reliable and andy's tools are advanced.

The unpleasant thing is: Bad flashes occur randomly. (I had bricked a board by flashing even an original BIOS).

Most first think about a wrong mod....., but this can be excluded since the tool is reliable!
    You simply had bad luck, something went wrong when programming (flashing the chip). Why? Nobody ever knows.

BTW: No chance to enter setup? Unplug power cord, remove battery some minutes, insert it again....try to boot.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bobbee12

bobbee12 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    Thanks for replying Yen! I glad your willing to give up your time to help out our community

Yes the first thing I tried was unplugging, battery removal..etc, with no luck. Yeah, random bad luck.... Sounds a lot like my poker game, which has been running very bad lately. I should have know to hold off on any flashing.

I have another try and this time, hopefully with success.

Thanks again!!

7. algriffen

algriffen MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2010
    Having flashed a couple of similar Asrock boards and bricking them, I can tell you why it happens. When you flash using instant flash, it is equivalent to "afudos bios_rom_name.rom" without the options. You have to reset cmos and nvram and program bootblock and it is done using /c /n /b also use the /p option as well which is to program the bios image. Maybe one of those 3 options could have been left out, but I didn't want to experiment which option it was. All I know is when I flash the Asrock boards with all the options I just mentioned, it worked. Flashing using Instant Flash or afudos without options caused both Asrock AM2+/AM3 boards to brick.