ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Gen4 Bios FULL G.U.I and Splashscreen Mod

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by darkhell666, Oct 4, 2012.

1. darkhell666

darkhell666 MDL Member

May 17, 2012
    #1 darkhell666, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
    Hello, in a previous thread i posted a tutorial about how to change the BIOS splashscreen in ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 (h+t+t+p://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/34651-Mod-splashscreen-logo-on-Asrock-z77-Extreme-4-EFI-Bios-%28MAYBE-OTHERS%29), now, I wanted to go further and try something extreme jeje ^^, for this reason i worked really hard the last days searching all the images integrated (not encrypted) in the BIOS, doing test to know the precise image coordenates and uses of each image, after that, spend another large amount of hours designing the new interface, now this extreme mod is complete and i want to share with you ^^

HERE IS THE VIDEO PREVIEW

h+t+t+p://w+w+w.youtube.com/watch?v=ubvNJQBjFHI

BIOS DOWNLOAD LINK

h+t+t+p://dl.dropbox.com/u/42040580/ASROCK_Z77_EXT4_FULLMOD_2.20.rar

Ptt: If you like my windows boot animation (skull with flaming eyes) you can download here, google to know how to apply:

h+t+t+p://dl.dropbox.com/u/42040580/PirateSkull1.rar

WARNING: The BIOS is fully tested by me and must work perfectly in any ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 board, HOWEVER, under no circumstances neither I nor the forum staff we will be responsible for the possible faults and / or damages that may occur due to a bad update.

I authorize any person the dissemination of this information in any forum or website as long as you respect my authorship and provide a link to this page as the source.

If you like my work please do a click in thanks button ^_^

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. snod33

snod33 MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2011
    Works perfectly my friend, good work. Can you explain the modules to mod? I wish to do my own in blue with a different theme. Cheers

3. darkhell666

darkhell666 MDL Member

May 17, 2012
    Hello, i'm glad that you liked, about modules, these are more than 80 that are image files (BMP, JPG, PNG), i modified 35 of them the same way i modified the splashscreen, taking care of respect the original image's parameters (DON'T EXCEED THE FILE SIZES, IN SOME CASES THEY WILL CAUSE SETUP FREEZES OR EVEN WORST, THE SYSTEM WILL NOT START), some parts of UI can't be modified with this method (popup windows, highlighted text, maybe these parts are encrypted or encapsulated and i'm not programmer or hacker to know how to find them)

If you want to do your own mod i must warning you, there's much work to do and is easy to do a mistake, DON'T DO IT IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE TOOLS TO RECOVER FROM A BAD FLASH OR MALFUNCTIONING BIOS.

If you still want to do your own mod download this file:

h+t+t+p://dl.dropbox.com/u/42040580/IMG.FILES.ASROCK.Z77.EX4.BIOS2.20.rar

These are all the BIOS image files (v 2.20), additionally, i've included a file "EXAMPLE.psd", it shows the most important image coordinates, open it with photoshop or any image viewer compatible with psd files.

Good Luck ^^.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. snod33

snod33 MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2011
    Hi mate that is awesome. Respecting the sizes the same as your splash screen you helped me mod. No problem. I wondered why the highlights were still blue, but thats great work, must have taken you ages. Mant thanks for the info and the image files. I am going to buy a EZP2010 programmer to back up in case of disaster. Many thanks i'll let you know how i get on.

5. darkhell666

darkhell666 MDL Member

May 17, 2012
    Hello, thanks again for your words; if you can buy the programmer excellent, I had to build my own because in my country are very expensive, It took me a week to build it :hypo:; you're right, it was very hard to do, especially the design of the new interface, the rest was not complicated, just a matter of very careful to respect the respective parameters of the original images.

Ptt: By the way, note that when designing the interface it is best to use a background image without much detail, nothing complex, since due to the limited file size, a complex image gets degrades greatly due to the compression required to match the file size.

6. snod33

snod33 MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2011
    Hi mate just got the programmer but dont know what chips to buy? I cant see the make or numbers on my bios chip, do you know the number or make of chip? I dont want to go flashing without a backup. Cheers

7. darkhell666

darkhell666 MDL Member

May 17, 2012
    Hello, yeah, i know, is a winbond W25q64BVAIG, the important part is that the ref. in this brand must be W25q64 (the "64" is the memory size in Mbits, other size will not work), i don't know if other chips with equal specs will work; at the moment of make a back up you don't need the programmer, just turn on the system and enter to the bios setup, plug a flash drive with the bios file, Carefully, while the system is on unplug the bios chip, relax, this will not damage the bios data, BUT TAKE CARE of not short pins while is connected, take care of not bend or break the pins, after unplug the chip plug the new (unprogrammed chip) and after that, run the instant flash utility, this will program the chip without additional hardware, This procedure is known like "bios hot swap" and work with the majority of systems included this (i tested by myself), be sure that backup chip works ok, then you can safelly do experiments.

To recover corrupted bios just run the system with bios backup and use the bios hot swap to reprogram the corrupted one.

Good luck, bye ^^

8. snod33

snod33 MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2011
    Thank you buddy thats a great help

9. liamstears

liamstears MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2012
    Hey, logged on just to reply to this thread! First of all great mod man nice work! Secondly the reason I searched and found this thread is down to quality of the images in bios, I use a 1080p monitor and in bios the images are of poor quality and I was wondering if using your method is it possible to increase image quality so I would get a smooth image at 1080p? Also I wonder if you would want to create a custom bios for me? I know its a big ask but its not really something I want to try as if I mess it up its gonna cost money to fix. What im looking for is something based on the original like this: images DOT anandtech DOT com/galleries/1908/ASRock%20Z77%20Extreme4%20BIOS%2001%20-%20Main_575px DOT png but with the top row icons a bit more interesting like the ones on this one: images DOT anandtech DOT com/doci/6228/ASRock%20X79%20Ex11%20BIOS%2020%20-%20Tools DOT png but then just higher quality images so I get a smooth looking bios at 1080p. Would need the z77 extreme4 2.80 bios. Possible? Look forward to your reply buddy...

10. darkhell666

darkhell666 MDL Member

May 17, 2012
    Hello, that's not possible, you must respect the filesizes, sorry.

11. liamstears

liamstears MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2012
    I guess bios would be too big to fit on bios chip? Could you make it anyway? Then I could buy a bigger size bios chip...

12. darkhell666

darkhell666 MDL Member

May 17, 2012
    Hello, what can i say.... i don`t know if the mobo will recognice a different bios chip with more capacity and i don't have access to a chip like that to do the test :/, and about your request to make a mod for you, i'm sorry, i can't, this is complex and i have no time, even more for individual request.