Assembled PC Vs OEM PC for Windows x/10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by heartbrake, Aug 5, 2015.

1. heartbrake

heartbrake MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2013
    So my friend was upset that how his OEM PC doesn't get BIOS/Driver updates anymore. I mean it's been years since 8.1 came out and his pc vendor is so sloppy that he still hasn't got Audio drivers for 8.1. Those guys put the rest of the drivers on their website but no audio. The drivers were released a week after 8.1 and hasn't been updated since. This is the case with most of the OEM PCs. I mean they provide you software/drivers for a year or so and then the new better PC is released then they forget about the old devices and hardly update their drivers. LOL 2 years and still no audio driver, that's a big joke. This is why I prefer Assembled PC because I can put the best parts from different vendors and get frequent driver updates because of the popular and best parts always get the best support from software devs.

2. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    You are correct. If you use a video card, you can continue to get updates from AMD or Nvidia. If you have audio from RealTek, you can continue to get updates. However the motherboard updates will end at some point. No more bios upgrades, no more driver upgrades. The only way to continue getting updates is to replace the motherboard every year or so.

3. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #3 odiebugs1, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    Most of the hardware is still made by a different MFG, and all that has to be done is use the hardware ID to find new drivers from the MFG.( example) Dell has a MOBO made for them, they don't make the chipset, Lan, GPU, IGPU, Audio.

And still most won't update there old hardware for a new OS. If you don't have a new PC every few years, your running old hardware.

Who doesn't want Sata 3, M2, ability to run NVME.

200.00- 250.00 and anyone can have the newest chipset, CPU, PSU, memory.

4. Snoop05

Snoop05 MDL Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Check VEN and DEV ID of specific chips/devices, download latest driver from chip/device manufacturer site, - not mobo manufacturer site - they almost never have latest and sometimes they are modified in very bad way. But its not a rule (ATK0110 on ASUS mobos).

5. dgwin7

dgwin7 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Assembled PC with clean install Win 10 no problem. :D

OEM PC with clean install Win 10 have issues like activation, Brand Logo on screen DELL, HP, etc.:negative:

I built pc for years, My pc with asus board last 4 yrs and counting.(need upgrade new gpu that all) :wheelchair:

6. Yemble

Yemble MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    Windows 10 Pro x64 is running just fine on my ANCIENT Dell XPS M1210 laptop

7. heartbrake

heartbrake MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2013
    #7 heartbrake, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    (OP)
    It works but you don't get full functionality with default Windows WDM drivers. I haven't updated my laptop yet. The quickset, intel hd video driver (still in beta) and audio driver are not out yet. Still waiting for all the drivers to release and then I'll do the upgrade to 10.