[Assistance if Possible] MSI Z97 X-Power AC + Samsung SM951 M.2 (AHCI)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by drew84, Jan 14, 2016.

1. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
    Trying to boot Windows from SM 951 M.2 on this Motherboard with absolutely no luck so far....

Pointers please.....

2. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    #2 JP2015, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    did you have a chance to look at their site for the latest cmos patch and make sure your board details the latest one? and are you able first of all to boot into your MSI's board options?

and I would start will one set of sticks in regarding ram and confirm your HD is all right for starters

power supply doing its thing and hanging in well when your in the MB options?

add in: most older "and current MB's require a patch these days from whoever the brand is " just like video cards with any new releases of windows 10 and 8.1

Apple and Microsoft have been driving hardware venders nuts these days with all these updates " just imagine the support requests in the hardware market " YIKES

3. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Yea if everything is in place and everything is connected right and a half decent working hard drive and his memory sticks are not miss matched and his power supply is alive and has the min wattage to run everything that he has installed as hardware " for starters "

4. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
    Was under the impression you were changing your user name to JP2016:biggrin:

Short History: Bought board for brother (Some time back) and he has only now gotten round to using it (Working on it)... 30 (40) + years (He) in the industry and unfortunately a bit lacking in patience now.

Myself: PCs are nothing more than entertainment for me (Love solving problems) .... I am self taught. Started with a BBC Acorn 3000.
    The first (Windows) PC that I bought was furnished with a massive 4GB hard drive (Above brother said I was throwing my money away, implying that I would never use it (Storage) in my Lifetime).

Current System (... and won't be changing it for some time yet): EVGA SR2 (24GB Memory, Dual Xeons, Dual GTX 690s - Raid0 SSD system Drive, OCZ REvoDrive used as secondary drive, 16TB Raid5 Storage) Powered by 1200W Corsair PSU.
    used with 3 x 24" monitors and 49" 4K TV (3840 x 2160p @ 60 Hz despite the fact that nVidia says the 690s will only do 4K @ 30Hz)

as regards the Z97 on my Test Bench - That is powered by my reserve (.and newer) 1300W SuperFlower PSU.

The problem I have is not that the M.2 is not working (works perfectly fine as a drive once system is booted), but that it is not recognised in the BIOS (as BOOT device)
    ... although (strangely enough) it shows up when I use the F11 prompt to access the BOOT menu.

5. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Thanks for reminding me about the nic change its on the back burner I had a couple of issues in here with the Admins regarding a tiny micro personal matter,'

Kido hey I respect all that backround information you provided " us me "

Take good care of your brother he sounds like a very good man

You have pretty nice stuff in the hardware department try to keep it clean and don't over clock some of your gear is big bucks ;) keep they healthy at all times and they will keep you always happy

Back to the issue

You might need your brother on this one or at least touch base with him " you will need to flash down your cmos hopefully one patch perhaps two and then walk forward going upwards flashing up at least to the most current one but before you do that try a second hard drive if you have a spare and you will be good in this approach..

PS: make sure your hard drive is a breather first or all and have a second one that is also breathable/operational in hand " very important "

Do the cold boots with 2 sets of sticks make sure they are seated well and they are a pair to the correct fq and modal of stick or ram and when you get the green light you will add the other 2 missing sticks back into their places in their push/pin slots

If all this doesn't work Kido one or two modules could be cooked within the chip set meaning " its not worth sending it out for repair it will cost you just about the same to test and replace a resister or a module or even more get a used working one off Kijji in your area or off eBay at least if it arrives DOA you get some of your refund back

Good Luck hope it all works out all well for you, and soon

JP

6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Are you trying to install to the M.2? What are you installing?
    I don't think you can install it while in Legacy mode, only UEFI as there is only a UEFI option rom.
    That would also explain why you can see it when booting from another drive... (I think)...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Do you have an setting in your bios that you can set pci express settting to M2 mode ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
    Will be attacking this again later on today... your suggestion and Post 03 to look into.
    Currently playing with my toys, attempting to add another 6TB of storage to present array....

9. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Good luck I did take an look at post 3 and they added Improved SAMSUNG M.2 compatibility to bios version 1.7

10. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    I didn't read the full BIOS notes but I'm wondering if it just adds NVMe compatibility, which wouldn't help you with that version of the SM951.

It might be worth trying to remove all bootable devices and trying a fresh install with only the SSD.

Oh and btw drew, I just want to point out that your "Raid0 SSD system Drive" will continually degrade in performance unless you're using a RAID controller that supports TRIM or the SSDs are enterprise ones that do their own cleanup. A buddy of mine built a rig with RAID0 (iRST) Intel 320 drives and after 6 months or so it was like running a spinning drive.

11. Another Error

Another Error MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2016
    Hi drew84,

I believe jp's suggestion and tip is where you will end up with at the end of the day with a defective mb in the sounds of it

when that's confirmed go search for a half decent used mb board I wouldn't be spending or wasting my time buy brand new at this time and try always to stick with the asus brand some swear by the asus brand for durability and some don't, my experiences with asus have always be positive and no complaints so far, I been using asus products for a little while

hope you find my details helpful when you discover your options have been all used up regarding your current task on your motherboard and adoption of the M.2