Asus eeePC 1001px: slic 2.1 not in bios but somewhere else?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mcbyte, Mar 8, 2011.

1. mcbyte

mcbyte MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    The Asus eee PX 1001px is sold in 2 variants:
    - Windows XP Home edition
    - Windows 7 Starter edition

Other than the OS, the only hardware difference is the hard disk size (XP version got a 160gb harddisk, Win7 got 250gb), and to confirm that the hardware is identical, the asus support website has only 1 page for everything, and the most interesting thing is the BIOS: the same bios file for both versions.

I got myself the xp version (costs at leat 50 euro's less), and updated bios to latest available for 1001px (which is the 1102), and tried checking if it has slic, and there is no slic.

How does they make it then to update the same bios file for a Win7 Machine and maintain the slic certificate in the bios? is there somewhere else the the slic can be inserted? i was hoping that the bios has the slic anyway but normal users will not know how to use it to activate a Win7 with slic...

2. Berny

Berny MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    You can't do that because the SLIC area of the bios is protected and won't be flashed. You will need a modded BIOS. I searched for the modded bios for this exact laptop (also same 1102 version) a month ago because just as you did I tried the latest official bios and it didn't flash the slic 2.1 table: I found it, not here but I think on a chinese or russian website, sadly I didn't keep the link. That modded bios worked fine. Make sure you install the bios for your absolutely exact model (1001PX) because any other bios for similar models (even if it has the same version number) will brick your laptop. Also beware of the ASUS website, if you check closely you'll see that most if not all the downloads for this laptop model are corrupted (!!!) (except the bios I think, that seemed to be fine).

3. Berny

Berny MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #3 Berny, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
    Try googling "+1001px +slic +1102", I saw there are some download link on a russian and czech website that may have the bios you're looking for. I think the one I used was from the russian website.

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    That bios was probably modded here or with our tools...just make your own or make a request..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mcbyte

mcbyte MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Yes, I found an already modded 1102 bios for this netbook, and it works.

My question was how do they save the SLIC in somewhere other than the bios file, because i found for some computer bioses that i tried to patch with the bios tools from this forum that they already have slic 2.0 inserted by some method (and they are bioses downloaded from the manifacturer). So i expected that for this model which is out in 2 flavors (xp and Win7) the bios will already have the slic but will not be used.

Thanks for the info....
    and yes Berny, on the asus website most of the drivers are corrupted, stupid asus !!!