ASUS G2S Dual Boot PROBLEM!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Deiter, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Deiter

Deiter MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2007
    #1 Deiter, Dec 22, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
    Running Windows Vista Premium on an Asus G2S Notebook. The Hard drive is SATA. Trying to install Windows XP Home on new partition. Used Vista to shrink current c Drive and create a 7 Gig Partition on the drive. Downloaded SATA drivers from the ASUS web site for my notebook and put the drivers on a floppy disk. Shut down Notebook. Restarted notebook and booted from Windows XP Home disk. Pressed F6 to load SCSI & SATA drivers when promted. When promted to load sata drivers (3rd party drivers for the hard disk) a list of drivers comes up on screen. I tried to load them one at time each time I got this result, It loaded the driver and went on loading the preloads for the Windows Install. The screen came up to hit Enter to load windows or R to repair windows. I hit Enter. ERROR: Windows could not locate a hard disk on this machine, setup will now end. That happened with every driver I attempted to load from the floppy. The drivers I acquired from ASUS are eSATA_VISTA_070517 . Went into the bios and locked the SATA functions and attempted to install windows that way. Still no joy. The only option in my Bios is to lock or unlock sata. There are NO other options. Attempted to slipstream the drivers for the SATA to a Windows XP disk. That also Failed. It absolutely will not recognize the hard drive. PLEASE, there has to be someone out there that knows how to fix this problem short of wiping my hard drive. I do not want to delete Vista and install XP first. I am in a remote location in Iraq and have limited resources on the internet. If someone has a clue please respond to this post. Thank you

2. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I don't think you need to load any drivers with the f6 option..the only time you need them drivers...is if your installing on a 'Raid' configuration....thus the error because it cannot find a 'RAID Configuration'....try running the installation without loading any drivers....Windows should detect your eSATA drive normally...

3. Deiter

Deiter MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2007
    ESata Drivers LOADED!!!!

With the F6 option? I had to find the correct drivers for the ESATA hard drive for XP. After finding those drivers I had to make my own install disk of XP and slipstream thiose drivers onto an install disk. Long story short I was able to get XP to see that the hard drive was there and I got it installed. I got the video drivers installed also which was a nitemare because XP on this laptop will only see 2 Gigs of Ram. Anything more than that and you cant install any video drivers. I cant seem to find a driver for the audio. ASUS doesnt have one for XP on an ASUS G2S. So if there is anyone out there with the audio drivers for this machine, please let me know. So, I finally have an ASUS G2S Notebook Dual boot with Vista Premium and XP Home. And it was a royal pain in the arse.

PEACE........Deiter

4. trodas

trodas MDL Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Congratulations, then. I noticed how the XP support in the notebooks somewhat disappeared. The aim is pretty simple and obvious - to force people into Vista. Crazy. If I buy notebook, I first look if they support my lovely Win2k, then I buy.

Congratulations on sucesfull slipstream of your drivers :D

Care to give few hints how did you do it, in the end, so others might learn something? :)

PS. talking about peace from "remote location in Iraq" sounds a bit off to me, but that can be just me.

5. GabrielV

GabrielV MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...