ASUS K8VSE: The Great Mystery Board of the World??

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by scarrysunshine, Aug 2, 2009.

1. scarrysunshine

scarrysunshine MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Does anyone happen to have any BIOS updates for the ASUS K8V SE motherboard, revision # 1.13? This is NOT the Deluxe version, but apparently an OEM board, and quite possibly the most obscure motherboard ever created. I have had no luck finding out what manufacturers used this board in what systems. ASUS has absolutely no information or support of this motherboard on their website, and the only information I can find anywhere is always for the K8V SE Deluxe. Judging by what I've read here and elsewhere, I'm leery of using the BIOS updates for the Deluxe board to flash this one. Not sure if this helps any, but the current AMI BIOS ID string is 63-0505-000003-00101111-080304-Hammer-A0063003 and the build date (from the string) is 08/03/2004. If anyone anywhere has ANY updates for this thing that are newer I will be eternally grateful.

Thank you all for your help!

2. spiderman_pink

spiderman_pink MDL Member

Jul 1, 2009
    if its working fine, you don't need to update. there's an urge to get the latest updates, but latest doesn't always means the best.

are you looking for an update so that you can mod your bios?

3. scarrysunshine

Aug 1, 2009
    Possibly. My biggest issue is with memory. I can't seem to get double-sided DIMMs to work on this thing, which is just about the only memory I have. The BIOS reads half of the modules capacity and then stops. I have tried every different configuration that it allows for, but nothing has worked so far. I had a similar issue with a Gigabyte board that was of the same "vintage" as this one, and a BIOS update took care of the problem and then some. I don't know if this BIOS can be modded with pieces of others that are similar, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open.

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Does this board have a flash utility in the bios setup like other ASUS boards? You should be able to save the existing bios to a file if it does.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. scarrysunshine

Aug 1, 2009
    It does. I have been able to back up the current BIOS, in case I screw something up, but my problem is I have nothing new to update it with. I'm also not quite sure how to recover from a complete disaster (i.e. board completely dead).

Can the current AMI BIOS be modified with elements from other BIOS rom files that apply to boards within the same chipset series? I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to BIOS mods.

7. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Sometimes, but it is very risky. Usually like Raid upgrades can be done, or other option rom upgrades.

Afudos from the other version boards will(should) work well for flashing. Or just use EZFlash, or whatever the board has on it.

8. Bloodykiller86

Bloodykiller86 MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    look on google for asus update. its asus version of a bios updater

9. scarrysunshine

Aug 1, 2009
    I have ASUS update installed, and it has not worked for me. Every time I run it no updates are found. Very frustrating.

10. scarrysunshine

Aug 1, 2009
    #13 scarrysunshine, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
    (OP)
    Yea, I figured it was risky, that's why I have not yet attempted it. I have both AFUDOS and AFUWIN so I'm not too worried about flashing the board, I just don't want to flash it with a bad mod and then kill it.

Does anyone happen to know which manufacturers originally used these boards? I have searched both the Gateway and HP websites and found nothing so far. I also tried Dell, but without a service tag number it's pretty hopeless. Any suggestions?