Asus M5A97 R2.0 Mod to Enable Core Unlocker?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by ChrisDoPho, Aug 13, 2013.

1. ChrisDoPho

ChrisDoPho MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2013
    #1 ChrisDoPho, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    Is it possible to mod a Asus M5A97 R2.0 .cap file to enable Core Unlocker? I tried to make a mod using AMIBCP but I get a security check failure when I try to update the BIOS using EZ Flash.

2. LesserAnimal

LesserAnimal MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2008

i'd be extremely interested in this feature. I just got this board off ebay only to find out that my research indicating this board had core unlocker didn't apply to the r2.0 revision. Had I known I would have bought another board entirely.... Sad because this 550 black edition hangs out at 3.9 with all 4 cores running stable... but i'm stuck with only 2 now.

3. ChrisDoPho

ChrisDoPho MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2013
    Yeah, I just need to know if there is a way to bypass ASUS EZ Flash Security check.

4. LesserAnimal

LesserAnimal MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2008
    I had an asus cm1730(oem version of) m4a78-l that I was able to flash the retail bios to in order to get over clocking and core unlocked. Ez flash and afudos gave me security check errors. I was able to bypass using an engineering sample of afudos and it went right through. I reflashed again in ez flash after the new bios loaded for safe measure and viola. Obviously have a backup ready

5. LesserAnimal

LesserAnimal MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2008
    have you tried an engineering sample of afudos? the right switches will keep it from checking security and just flash. If you aren't having any luck i'd be willing to try if you provide the modified bios. I haven't attempted any motherboard bios modifications myself yet but have done some minor editing of radeon bioss in the past. I'd be willing to make a try at it if you don't have any luck or get stuck.

6. ChrisDoPho

ChrisDoPho MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2013
    I haven't tried the engineering sample of afudos but this is the modfied bios.

mediafire.com/?t208hdqxt69ydd3 (I can't post links directly yet)

7. LesserAnimal

LesserAnimal MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2008
    not sure if i'm using a different engineering sample than last time. but i think more likely the new .cap container is not working with afudos. It would seem there are two ways to flash modified .cap files.
    The easy one involves naming it according to bios flashback standard and doing a bios flashback.
    pretty cake. After checking to see if we had this feature I checked the manual. After an initial wave of excitement to see it there I realized I wasn't looking at the LE model manual and the real one didn't have the same exciting news. No Dice on BIOS flash back for our motherboard.

The second method seems far more involved and slightly more risky but shouldn't be too hard to pull off. I'm gonna have to do more reading though before I'll be willing to try it...

SIDE NOTE: I'm willing to donate to anyone willing to offer their wisdom and guidance in this matter.
    If your initial question is why don't you just buy another board? Well I already have.... along with an fx-8350 but the truth is I derive more pleasure learning/unleashing potential from crippled equipment than I acutally do gaming on a 5000 dollar terror of a tower.

8. deebo1

deebo1 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2013
    #8 deebo1, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    Hi, all.
    I bought m5a99 R2.0, with the idea to unlock my PhII x3. You can imagine how i felt, when I realize, ASUS prevented the board from unlocking phenoms.
    As far as I understood all 9xx series R2.0 asus' boards, has this feature disabled...

ChrisDoPho, May ask you to write a guide, how you did the bios modding of the board. I have tried, but I am a newbie in this stuff.
    I have the ÀMIBCP 4.53 and the MMTool, but can't figure out what to do.

Thanks in advance.

9. deebo1

deebo1 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2013
    ChrisDoPho,

I found, using MMTool, that the menu strings are in the setup module.
    I can't figure out which is the main module...
    Come on mate, share that knowledge of yours...

10. cloud8521

cloud8521 MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2013
    I really need a unlocker. I will be without the funds for a new cpu until December at the soonest. I have just upgraded to this mobo, and i cannot complete my college courses (game programming course) without the extra cores!

can any of you help me get my 550BE cpu unlocked?

I did have it unlocked to a quad before just in case you want to know on a different mobo.

can anyone provide a cap of the newest bios + the unlocker? (M5A97 R2.0 BIOS 2006)