ASUS N550LF - poor gaming performance only on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Winter, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hi there guys,

I'm experiencing quite strange problem. I'm an owner of ASUS N550LF which originally came with Windows 8.1. The OS works great, but I'm not a big fan of the Modern inteface. I tried to switch back to Windows 7 - all works fine apart from USB 3.0 drivers (I had to disable it in BIOS and switch to USB 2.0).

So, the problem occurs in games. While playing on Windows 8.1 everything works smoothly, on Windows 7 it's not. Using always the latest drivers, energy profile set to High Performance, NVIDIA driver set to High Performance / v-sync off. Playing CS:GO just gives me 20-30 fps less than on Windows 8.1!

My laptop's spec is i7-4500U, 8 GB RAM, GeForce 745M, 250 GB SSD Crucial BX100.

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    sounds like a driver issue as you already poked at. Sometimes the latest drivers are not the best way to go when down grading a system. Maybe trial and error some older sets. Either that or hope someone has your specs and knows a driver that will solve the issue.

As far as the modern interface, dont use it. There are plenty of options to get 8.x to work like 7. Get the best of both, your performance and your interface changes.

3. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I think the audio driver might be the issue. Windows 7 has software audio acceleration while Windows 8 has hardware audio acceleration. I'm using Realtek HD Audio codec which is quite problematic - people report many lag/delay issues while using it.

4. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    DPC latency is too high. It seems that ndis.sys makes it laggy - checked with LatencyMon and some other app for latency. Both show some problems.