Asus notebook G51Jx (MB G60J) after replacing MB has no SLIC 2.1 anymore

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Richard60, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Richard60

Richard60 MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2009
    My few months old notebook G51Jx was repaired by Asus TSD. They replaced the mainboard and videocard. Now Windows was not genuine anymore. After recovery also. So Asus told me to use the productkey on the back of the notebook. That works, but I had to activate via internet. So it is not pre-activated anymore.
    I think there is no SLIC 2.1 in de bios. How do I get that back?

2. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    You will have to mod the Bios to insert the ASUS Slic info back into it.

3. Richard60

Richard60 MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2009
    #3 Richard60, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
    (OP)
    It is a AMI bios, but both AMI and AWARD tools say the bios file from ASUS is no AMI or AWARD bios... The MB is G60JX.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Strange, the notebook is/was sold with Win 7 Home, so one would expect latest BIOS to have SLIC 2.1 ...

sebus

5. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    ^ ASUS doesn't seem to add SLIC to the Downloadable Updates on their support site.
    I have had to add SLIC to quite a few ASUS Laptps that shipped with Win 7 and had SLIC 2.1 in the BIOS that came with the PC. but after sending it in for repairs they tend to come back with a Non-SLIC Bios.

6. Richard60

Richard60 MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2009
    #7 Richard60, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
    (OP)
    That is correct. Windows 7 Home Premium was pre-activated. But the mainboard and videocard are replaced by Asus. Now it has no SLIC 2.1 anymore. I have to use the productkey at the back of the notebook and activate manualy.

7. Richard60

Richard60 MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2009
    @NoGuan999: What software do they (ASUS) or you use to imprint SLIC 2.1 in the bios. And what happens when a new bios update from Asus arrives without SLIC 2.1 in the bios? Is the imprint imprinted in the bios deeper than the new updates so the update does not affect the imprinted SLIC 2.1?

8. Kalliedog

Kalliedog MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    :confused: I have the exact same issue. The only difference is that I did not get anything replaced. I did a hard reset on the notebook (hold down the power button for 4 seconds to restart the computer). When the computer restarted and Win7 ULT x64 loaded, it came as not genuine and not activated. I did not do any mods or anything, just reseted the computer.

Originally when I first got the computer, I wiped the drive(s) and installed Win7 ult x64 with no issues. I have updated the bios 3 times since the original install with no issues. Everything remained activated and genuine for 8 months so I don't understand why did this in the first place.

So after this latested incident, I reinstalled windows and now it would not auto activate even though the cert and key were correct and I thought I had SLIC 2.1.

I did some checking on my bios and found that there was no SLIC present at all and my 2nd marker reads != in red. I then tried moding the bios file with andyp's tool. It is reporting that it inserted the SLIC 2.1 ok but the 2nd marker remained the same. I have flashed the bios 3 times with the modded one with the same result using both ezflash2 and aflash2. I finally flashed it with the unmodded one from Asus (g60jxas.208) and reverted using the supplied key on the back to activate (with Win7 HomePrem x64). Still today, my 2nd marker still reads != in red.

I have been researching this issue for a week now with no answer. I have read many issues with EFI bios and most are solved but not with Asus notebook motherboards. I have come up with that I have to change that 2nd pubkey somehow but what tool to use or what data to input.

My notebook:
    G51jx-a1
    Mb bios verson 208
    All other specs can be found on Asus website or the G51Jx ownerslounge at Notebook review.
    Please assist as I want my ultimate version back.