ASUS P5G41C-m LX no ethernet after bios upgrade

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by tommiy, Dec 26, 2011.

1. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Hoping someone can suggest something here for me. I was running bios 402 and decided to upgrade my RAM and Harddrive and switch to windows x64. So not wanting to have to go through the process of registering again I used the ssv3 and andys tool to give me a 702 version of bios. I loaded the original 702 and then then modified one. Everything works fine except there is no long a nic!! In windows it says it can not start the adapter with error code 10. In windows the lights on the nic turn off just after the windows logo. If I load ubuntu and try and manually start the NIC I get "RTNETLINK answers: Cannot assign requested address" however the NIC lights are on and flashing. However, while the lights are flashing it also says that there is no cable plugged into the ethernet port. However there is. I've seen messages else where that the realtek drivers can manage to dissociate the PHY layer so I trie unplugging the machine and taking the CMOS battery out left it for an hour and rebooted....but got the same thing. I've tried reverting to 0402 firmware but it has the same issues. I'm gathering that this is something to do with Realtek but simply can't get it to the start where it wishes to reattache the PHY layer again. Anyone else come across this?

2. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    This is insane. I've downloaded the DOS diagnostic programs and it reports that the NIC is fine and passes everything. However neither ubuntu or windows like it to be able to communicate with my router. I've looked at if each end is trying to be MDIX and it getting it wrong but there is no control apparent in the windows driver to lock it. Ubuntu says there is no cable plug in. Since it used to work perfectly i'm assuming that it didn't just happen to go bad at a bios update. Return to the original windows and it does not like it either. There are many issues on realtek ethernet cards going missing for no apparent reason. I think I've joined those ranks.

3. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Freaky stuff. Static IP I can ping the other hosts on the segment. However DHCP simply does not work on windows or ubuntu. If I set to DHCP it appears that the message doesn;t actually get to the wire at all because the router never see's the DHCP broadcast at all. Any one have any suggestions. (Guess not since nothing to date).

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #5 LatinMcG, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
    i think the mac addy got wiped. try to find your mac address in router logs or in the registry from prior settings or on the board usually on a sticker starts 00#######
    to flash it back

5. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    well thats my problem. If I use PG8168 /r it gives me a MAC address. However a PG8168 /r /efuse says may MAC address is 00 00 00 00 00 30 which is wrong. I'm not sure that the PG8168 is giving the correct results for the board. If I try and program the MAC back to the Efuse component it tells me its full. Not sure which is right or wrong. If someone has another board and could tell me that would be great. Thanks