Asus P5Q SE Plus Motherboard

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Robbiel, May 9, 2011.

1. Robbiel

Robbiel MDL Novice

May 9, 2011
    Hi all, Im new here and have a been a lurker for a while so decided to join up. I have bought an Asus P5Q SE Plus motherboard secondhand including an Intel core 2 duo E6600 2.4Ghz CPU and 2GB ram. My question is can I just plug this into a new case and start to assemble my new build or is there anything I need to do to eg. reset the BIOS, or anything like that. Its my first build so just looking for some help on it.
    Thanks
    Rob

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I think.... just pluging is the best option, while changing the CMOS battery & buying a new one is very good idea!!! Thus ur CMOS will be reset automatically.. :) but remember, check the presence of any bios password before!!

3. Robbiel

Robbiel MDL Novice

May 9, 2011
    Thanks for the quick reply, I have a new battery ready to be put in to it. So basically it just remove the battery and that will "reset" the board? If there is a password on the BIOS how do I remove it?

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Check first if any.... start the pc with the old battery and go to bios setup!!

5. Robbiel

Robbiel MDL Novice

May 9, 2011
    Ok I booted up just now and there is nothing on the screen, the graphics card is correctly inserted but the screen is black and cannot get into the bios.....pressing the Delete key does nothing. The CPU fan is running yet Im not getting any warning beeps.

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Well... remove the graphics card and switch to the default onboard one...

7. Robbiel

Robbiel MDL Novice

May 9, 2011
    there is no default onboard one on the MB

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    What are you talking about? There is no internal GPU! Also the password will be reset after CMOS reset.

Please note your CPU is supported at BIOSversion 1407 and above only.....means if there is an older one installed your board doesn't boot....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009

Ooppssss.... my bad!!!! Just notice that.... :(

10. Robbiel

Robbiel MDL Novice

May 9, 2011
    There is no where on the MB to connect my monitor to, except the graphics card. So what does that mean that the MB wont boot? sorry but Im new to this.

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Hmm... Yen noticed my fault!!! The problem isn't the graphics card, the problem is if ur bios version is 1407 or above, it will boot with ur current processor, otherwise not!!!

12. Robbiel

Robbiel MDL Novice

May 9, 2011
    Ok so is that bad?

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The 1407 BIOS should be installed already I guess since it is the first update available....

Try:

-make sure the piezo speaker is attached properly to hear the beeps

-start using only one bank of ram (bank1), make sure it is attached properly, graphic card and CPU also.
    (If this is your first try to assemble a PC make sure you have installed the CPU properly!!! Consult your manual.
    Check anything else as well (RAM, GPU) if it sits properly.

-if it isn't booting remove all RAM, test again, it should beep now (error code), if not, remove GPU also.

finally boot the board only, it has to beep, if not it is dead.

PS: Check post #16

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    One more question:

What have you bought? Mainboard with CPU and RAM. Right?

Have you installed the CPU by yourself?

15. Robbiel

Robbiel MDL Novice

May 9, 2011
    I'll remove the RAM when I get home and try the other suggestions aswell. I bought the motherboard with the ram and chip all installed.

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    OK, so it is a bundle of Mainboard, CPU and RAM. The BIOS should be right then and it should boot assuming your graphics card is working.

If not then either the seller sold you a defective bundle or during shipping something has moved / unattached. (e.g. un-locked retaining clip at DIMM)
    Check if everything is still at its place and firmly installed.
    Also check if you have pluged in BOTH power cords (24 pin) and the one at the corner (4 pin)

Also try to clear RTC RAM (Chapter 1.9 Jumpers at your manual)

TBH no beep is no good sign....mostly the mainboard is dead...(had that myself already)

To check all you can (if you want)..disassemble the entire bundle and install everything again by yourself.

Install CPU, cooler, RAM, graphics card and micro speaker to hear the beeps, check if everything fits well consult the manual (available at the asus site)

Good luck.

17. Robbiel

Robbiel MDL Novice

May 9, 2011
    Hi everything seems to be secure on the board both the ram and chip. Both power cords are plugged in (24 pin and 4 pin) I've cleared the RTC RAM and nothing. No beeps from the board, except when I removed the ram and I got 1 long and 2 short beeps repeatedly. One quick note, when I reinserted the ram and powered it back up it ran for about 5-10 secs and shut down and then restarted? is that normal? I think from what you have told me It seems as if the board is dead :mad:

18. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    You're using a video card in that board, what card is it and what power supply. Have to eliminate a power issue.
    The board is not necessarily dead, could be that it doesn't like your memory assuming the above is ok. Maybe whoever sold you just unloaded the problem on you. Asus are having too
    many memory issues and failed boots. Search P5Q not booting and you will see what I'm talking about. When I bought my 775 system in 2008 I skipped Asus boards for this reason,
    went with the Gigabyte EP45 UD3P. Anyway you could have a go at it with a different stick of RAM, preferably DDR2 800, ensure the board is out the case and just basics hooked up, power,
    video, memory & cpu. Ensure CMOS is cleared before you start.

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Hi,

R29k is right, the board is not (completely) dead...(it beeps)
    one long and 2 short beeps means no RAM detected. It also means the board is not dead. You have one DIMM only? If not try to boot with one only. I guess your RAM is not compatible with your board or defective. It also means that your seller has sold a combination that does NOT work.
    You can try the DIMM at other banks DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 or at another mainboard to try if it works at all. Goal is to enter your bios setup.

What I would do: Find another memory that allows you to boot into the biossetup and flash the latest bios. Then re-try with your original RAM....
    The P5Q is IMHO a decent board. And ASUS boards are IMHO the best you can have. (I have build many PC's and recommend ASUS).

Two friends have had it as well (P5Q deluxe though). One has had problems with RAM as well, but after a biosupdate the issue was gone. Almost all biosupdates are made to improve memory compatibility!

You should think about if you want to try to resolve the issue by yourself or you want back your money....your seller sold you a non working bundle and should give you back your money!

20. Robbiel

Robbiel MDL Novice

May 9, 2011
    Thanks R29K The graphics card is an ATI Radeon X300. Ive Googled P5Q not booting and its a mine field on issues of what it could be. I did borrow a 1gb stick of DDR2 400mhz and still nothing. I have removed the board from the case and just connected as you said and nothing.
    Yen I read a lot of reviews and all very good of the P5Q boards and I was waiting for one to come around for sale as Im not going to be useing it for gameing or anything too powerful, just browseing and general use.
    I think I'll be contacting the guy who I got it from.