ASUS P8P67 Deluxe With EFI BIOS successful SLIC 2.1 Mod

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by redturttle, Apr 23, 2011.

1. redturttle

redturttle MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    All:

As EFI BIOS motherboards are here and the future, I definitely had some confusion and uncertainty in whether or not they could be safely modded, and wanted to share my experience and success. After just purchasing an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe rev 3.0 board and doing a ton of reading, I was able to successfully modify and insert a SLIC 2.1 table and activate Windows 7 with no problem. Procedure:

Download latest BIOS.
    FLASH the motherboard BIOS to the latest just downloaded.
    Open RW-Everything.
    After RW-Everything Opens, click ACCESS - ACPI Tables.
    When ACPI Tables opens, click anywhere within the ACPI Window.
    Click CONTROL + F2 to save the entire table.
    Open the Phoenix SLIC Tool.
    Open the unmodified BIOS.
    Set manufacturer to ASUS, choose SLIC as ASUS.bin, SLP as ASUS.txt, RW as the table we just saved.
    Method is DYNAMIC.
    Go.
    Save the new _SLIC BIOS. Reboot and flash.
    Shut down machine and reset BIOS with the clear CMOS switch on the back.
    Boot machine and reconfigure the BIOS.
    Load Windows and use slmgr.vbs to load certificate and key as usual.

Hope this helps and good luck

Twillux

2. mingo1976

mingo1976 MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2010
    hi, i have a p8h61-m and bios is efi too. i did 1 week ago the mod to last bios rev with dynamic method, all went fine. but when i try to flash in ezflash had error: not bios efi file. How did u flash your mobo after mod?
    Tkz for ur attention

3. redturttle

redturttle MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    So you're saying that after the bios had a modified installation, you tried to flash it and it wouldn't let you? I just got the board a few days ago and haven't tried to flash it again after the initial modified bios flash... hopefully that's not the case? If so, try flashing in the bios, try using the DOS tool, and worst case, try the crash-free recovery flashing procedure... wonder if any of those three will work? Guess I will find out when ASUS releases a new update.

4. mingo1976

mingo1976 MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2010
    problem solved.... i used an old rev of phoenix and bios slic was corrupted... used 1.84 and flashed from ezflash all OK.......tkz for your attention

5. redturttle

redturttle MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    That's great news... I used Phoenix v1.84 as well and was a little worried!

Cheers

6. tuyen

tuyen MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    That last step where you clear the CMOS physically with a switch is completely overkill and unnecessary.

After you flash the BIOS, the only thing you have to do is load the default values by pressing F5.

7. redturttle

redturttle MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Normally I would agree; however, my entire machine would not POST after enumerating the storage controllers. I had to perform a full BIOS reset in order for it to go through; some may have better luck.

8. bmorgan98

bmorgan98 MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2010
    Thank you guys for your step by step instructions i successfully imported slic2.1 into a p8h61-m.

9. bios39

bios39 MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2009
    I did evertything you posted.

1- downloaded latest bios 0805.
    2- Flashed latest bios 0805.
    3- use RW-everything to save the acpi table file.
    4- open Pheonix utility version 1.84.
    5- inserted the originale bios i just flashed.
    6- Manufacturer = asus slic file = asus.bin slp=asus.txt RW=file i just created with RW-Everything.
    7- is where i have a problem. I insert the asus-new.xrm.ms certificate and i get an error as follow:

Complete SLIC2.0 (A M I OEMSLI ) does NOT match certificate (X1) ASUS.BIN matches certificate.

is this a normal error?

10. schooluser

schooluser MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    Thinking of buying this board, can you post the modded bios, possibly with the ASUS executable packaging? People could download and review it, and I could be one of them.

I would like to give this a shot but I would need more than a step by step since i've never modded, only downloaded.

You did this within a win7 environment?

Any bootable iso like the HP slp tool to do this without needing an OS? A PE disk would be awesome.

Maybe just a zip file with everything needed inside it, I install win7 with the slic key but isn't oem activated yet, mod the bios, restart, install the cert, good to go?

11. slashragnarok

slashragnarok MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2011
    Guys I don't understand one thing. If I just flash the BIOS with the new SLIC 2.1 inserted one, wouldn't clearing the CMOS jumper just cancel what I just did?

12. yngdiego

yngdiego MDL Member

Feb 14, 2008
    No! Clearing the CMOS does not wipe out the BIOS, just resets the settings back to their default.

13. valskha

valskha MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2010
    Thank you so much, i've managed to flash my P8P67-M bios with your method :)

If anyone wants the moded bios file for this specific board just PM me. (i can't put the link here because apparently my post count is not greater than 20...)

14. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
  15. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
  16. a1pyroman

a1pyroman MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Trying to mod a P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3...

Followed all directions but when i select the modded bios in ASUS EZ Flash 2 v01.04 it says read failed (original bios worked fine)

I used RW1.5.1 and Phoenix 1.93

datafilehost.com/download-da9389e6.html for rwfile

Not sure if i did something wrong so I am holding off on flashing in dos

Any ideas?

Thank you!

17. a1pyroman

a1pyroman MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    This one worked with asus ez flash, not sure why the one i made did not work...part of the reason why i didnt try dos originally

Are you using the slics included with 1.93 or different ones?

Settings in phoenixDell/EFI SLIC Mod v1.93:
    original bios
    Asus manufacturer
    Slic Asus 2.1 (the one included)
    SLP asus
    RW File (tried blank rw and one from link above)
    Dynamic Method

Thank you for the help!

18. Serg008

Serg008 MDL BIOS/EFI Guru

Feb 23, 2010
    Same as you, except:
    SLP : --- asus
    RW File: (RWE report from your link above)