Asus P8Z77-V complete BIOS backup or another way to remove permanent SLIC?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by ADVERSiTY, Feb 28, 2013.

1. ADVERSiTY

ADVERSiTY MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2011
    I really need the MDL community's help. Essentially I need to remove the permanent SLIC keys that were added to my Asus P8Z77-V BIOS (via the DMI method). The only way the I know of to reverse this is to reflash (in DOS) using the original backup, which I no longer have, that was made before/when the modded BIOS was flashed. I've seen it mentioned that you can also erase and rewrite the DMI, but I can't find out how to do that on this specific board. I've been at this for probably close to a week now, and still can't find a complete, unmodified, BIOS backup made in DOS, or a better way to remove the keys.

I'm in the midst of trying to troubleshoot some issues in a pure UEFI environment (CSM disabled) and I'm beginning to think the modded BIOS may be the culprit. However given the circumstances I have no way to verify and mark this one suspicion off my list. So I'd be eternally grateful if someone could help me out with this. :hug2:

2. matt.xx

matt.xx MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2013
    I'd also be interested on how to remove SLIC from the bios, but using the permanent new module method. I can't find anything on this at all!

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    look for titos post of it.

4. matt.xx

matt.xx MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2013
    Mhmm.. I had a quick look but couldn't see anything on SLIC removal. I'll take a better look later.

5. CodeRush

CodeRush MDL Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Transfer your board data with FD44Editor from BIOS backup to vanilla BIOS file and then flash the modified file with "flashprp" command using FTK, and your "permanent" is no more.

6. matt.xx

matt.xx MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2013
    Exactly what I needed to know. Cheers!

7. ADVERSiTY

ADVERSiTY MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2011
    Thank you CodeRush, you're a life saver!

As I suspected the modded BIOS was to blame for my issues. I've been trying to go pure UEFI (Disabled Compatibility Support Module) for the past week and have tried all sorts of configs and BIOS changes, but nothing has worked. Everytime I would try to install Windows 7 in UEFI mode, the DVD would boot and the black screen with a bar saying "Loading Windows Files..." showed up, loaded, then when it came to the actual "Starting Windows" screen (same one you see @ boot) the computer would reboot EVERY time and say "The current BIOS setting do not support Windows UEFI mode.[sic]".

I tried everything I could think of; SATA related (RAID vs AHCI), Secure Boot on & off, Windows UEFI mode or Other OS mode, etc. Apparently the current "permanent method via DMI" is NOT UEFI compatible. I admit I don't know much of the technical underpinnings of Windows Loader, but I know it's incompatible with UEFI+GPT. I assume since the SLIC injection and Loader work in tandem to "Activate" Windows that it's somehow related? I could be completely wrong though obviously (more than likely am).

I did have one hiccup with CodeRush's method though. After transferring my board info to a stock BIOS and flashing it via flashprp in DOS, the board had some weird issues (no info showing up for CPU speed, or the Intel Managment Engine Firmware version, etc.). So after flashing the re-modified BIOS, I then took the completely untouched Asus 1805 BIOS and flashed using fpt (fpt -erase; fpt -f Z77VB.CAP), and now I'm able to disable CSM and install Windows in UEFI mode without issue. To note though, I had no issues running linux distros in pure UEFI under the same setup.

Oh and if you're going to use UEFI+GPT and use WIND-SLIC to activate, you need to make sure Secure Boot is disabled or it will never load the UEFI shell script, it'll just drop you back to the BIOS settings screen.

8. aso

aso MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2011

I have the same problem with my Sabertooth z77, could you teach me how to remove the permanent SLIC 2.1

9. aso

aso MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2011
    I have done the procesure advised by CodeRush, It works.

I went to the CodeRush's page about the FD44Editor and FTK。