Asus s550c upgrade or downgrade problem

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by foldonce, Sep 23, 2015.

1. foldonce

foldonce MDL Junior Member

Apr 29, 2014
    SPECIFICATIONS OF MY ASUS S550C

Operating System:

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    CPU:
    Intel Core i5 3317U @ 1.70Ghz
    Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM:
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @665Mhz (9-9-9-24)
    upgraded from 6GB

Motherboard:
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. S550CM (SOCKET 0)

Graphics:
    Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT635M (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Storage:
    698GB Hitachi HTS547575A9E384
    22GB SanDisk SSD U100 24GB (SSD)

Optical Drives:
    Matsh!ta DVD-RAM UJ8C2 S

Current Partitioning Scheme(Picture):
    anonfiles(dot)com/file/28cdaad9ae56818c327ece1d448b44f5 <-- Please replace (dot) with . and view on browser.

I want to have a fresh installation on this new machine that I have. I am not a fan of Windows 8 and this is the OS that is currently installed. I prefer windows 7 or windows 10 (Which is now currently installed on my Desktop from a free upgrade) I don't have any discs or recovery discs on this machine because I got it from a friend who left already to move out-of-town and since I am planning to install a Fresh copy of OS in this machine neither downgrade to win7 or upgrade to win10 I don't intend or plan to have one right now but I do plan to create after a fresh new os installation. I did try to install win7 earlir and manage to boot from a usb to install but I noticed the partioning scheme of the machine and I'm a bit worried about that. I read that the SSD acts as a cache on this machine and I don't want to lose that feature or any features that this machine is supposed to have.

Note:
    · The machine now prompts me to activate, I can't activate online
    · I don't have any discs, recovery, nor back-ups with this one. I'd love to have one on a fresh installation on this machine
    · On ASUS website I see no driver support for windows 7 only windows 10, win8 and win8.1

My Concerns:
    · How do I correctly install a Fresh new OS on this Ultrabook on windows 7? Considering the partitions that I noticed and it's features.
    · Is it possible to directly install a windows 10 OS (FREE)?
    · I've been using Driverpack (drp.su)&nbsp;or other driverpackages since.. when installing Drivers, Is that alright?

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  3. foldonce

Apr 29, 2014
    Thank you for the reply LatinMcG, but that doesn't really detailed the questions that I asked. I don't really mind about the activation process as of the moment because I'm pretty sure I can work on that for later. If you would notice I did ask a couple of questions:

My Concerns:
    · How do I correctly install a Fresh new OS on this Ultrabook on windows 7? Considering the partitions that I noticed and it's features.
    · Is it possible to directly install a windows 10 OS (FREE)?
    · I've been using Driverpack (drp.su)&nbsp;or other driverpackages since.. when installing Drivers, Is that alright?

Update:

Currently I activated the current OS on it which is Windows 8. What I'm trying to achieve now is utilize the Windows 8 "Reset to Factory Settings" Option.. I am now currently making the image which is done via elevated command prompt:

• mkdir C:\RefreshImage
    • recimg -CreateImage C:\RefreshImage

But I'd love some answers on the questions that I have in mind though which is stated above. I'd like to learn some information especially on the Partitioning scheme that it has and also if I format it with my own not relying on the option that win8 has can I still have the features like the SSD caching? or would those features be implemented if I install the ASUS bloatwares.

4. foldonce

Apr 29, 2014
    UPDATE:

I am now on Windows 10 Fully updated with minimal softwares installed. Because I can't wait to test the machine out, Now just as I expected. I needed to set-up the SSD Caching feature of the machine. That is my current problem now, How to set-up the SSD Cache feature of my ASUS S550C?

I did took some time and tried it out myself and I'm stuck still, I installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology with compatibility mode because it won't install, Also did this tutorial on toms hardware How to install ExpressCache on Asus - I can't post links but it won't install. I can't see the SSD working to be a cache.

Can anyone advice on what to do?

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    sounds like it needs updated sata raid rom in bios

6. foldonce

Apr 29, 2014