Asus sees cd/dvd drive but cant burn jack isht

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by hbhb, Oct 5, 2013.

1. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    #1 hbhb, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
    My fellows "MDLLERS":Two Asus lappies both running windows 8.1 Pro aren't able to burn CD's or DVD's. Yeah some people still use those :D
    Pilots are installed, PC's can read content of both CD and DVD. I try to burn some content, operations are successful with built in soft and third party -roxio- but CD/DVD remain like virgins dude.:shisha:
    I even plug an external Memorex USB DVD drive, but no go. So some is up with win 8.1 I believe.
    I tried this regedit too, and changed value to 2 but nada

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives

There you have it, anyone having similar challenges?

2013-10-05_213919.jpg

Unless this few cds and dvds I have are all hosed, then I dunno!

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    I can see the temp burning folder , and operation of burning is successful , bur result isnt there. It is like Doctor is saying, operation went smooth but patient is gone, :D
    looking into this still...

3. Reznov

Reznov MDL Member

May 17, 2012
    I've also faced the same issue as yours since I installed 8.1 on both my Laptop and Desktop computers, I thought it was something wrong with my laptop because it was the first to receive 8.1 but when the same issue occured using my Desktop I can assume that there is something wrong with burning CD/DVD using Windows 8.1.

4. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    DVD functionality was something you only got with the WMC pack purchase for $10 and it could only be added to the W8 pro version .. I would suspect it will be the same for W8.1

5. ricktendo64

ricktendo64 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2008
    See if there is a newer firmware for your drive

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    This ^^ - just sounds like some compatibility issue with 8.1, software or firmware

7. Reznov

Reznov MDL Member

May 17, 2012
    That's actually true if you were referring to DVD Playback feature, but here, it's another story.
    The problem here is we cannot burn a CD or DVD of data as an example, personally I tried to burn some photos on a DVD, but even it says that the operation went with success I always find the disc as empty but in reality I can see that there is something written physically in disc, same goes with my laptop when I try to burn an Audio CD.

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It could be that these 3rd party programs are incompatible with win8.1. They might use some sort of driver to handle the burning.
    Try creating an ISO and then running the default ISO burning tool.
    Right click on the iso and select the "burn disc image" option.
    Remember that win8.1 is not even out and most drivers that work on 8.0 don't work on 8.1

9. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Have a look at file ownership and permissions in library and how WMP is configured if that is what your using for default player..

10. orca99

orca99 MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    #11 orca99, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    LOL...I haven't used my dvd burner for the past several years but decided to burn some images to test it out. I have several dozen blank dvd's which I bought years ago.

Burned the windows 8.1 image = everything is working fine
    Burned some mp3 files = everything is working fine

I have a rather old system for my desktop (AMD Phenom II x945) and the dvd burner is connected using SATA. Maybe the problem is only related to more modern systems?

I used a portable version of ImgBurn by the way.

11. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    I can guarantee you that won't help.

Does ImgBurn work? The problem is either with the software or with the ATAPI stack. Or both. Some software can alter the latter and mess up burning for everyone.

12. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    imgburn, roxio ...nothing works dude. My guess also is 100% windows8.1 communication with cd/dvd player. Hopefully there is a registry that makes a difference.
    I remember I had to do the same when win8 came out. I had to alter registry for the cd/dvd to work. Anyway this is an ongoing search.

13. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    If you need to edit the registry to get it to work, then something messed it up in the first place.

Do you have this problem if you try a clean install? If you have a spare 2.5" drive, you can just temporarily pop that into the laptop to try a clean install (don't have to activate or anything, just get a clean Windows on there to confirm the nature of the problem).

If you run Autoruns from Sysinternals, are there any suspicious entries under the Drivers tab?

14. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    "If you need to edit the registry to get it to work, then something messed it up in the first place."

your statement cant be applied to all situations because a lot of times we need "work arounds" to circumvent MS inability to push an ideal OS which I never expect.
    Many people are reporting thier inability to burn cd/dvd after clean installs. Can you burn in your laptop?

15. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Did you upgrade from a previous version of windows?

16. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    AIO Master, I have all different flavas of win8.1 pro, some upgrade and some fresh installed. Nada is working man when it comes to CD-DVD burning on my Asus machines. Did u test your machine?

17. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    #18 Enigma256, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    Indeed, I can, in every one of my computers (3 desktops, 3 laptops, 3 BD burners and 4 DVD burners in all).

When you try in ImgBurn, what kind of a log do you get?

18. Reznov

Reznov MDL Member

May 17, 2012
    Well I can assume there's something wrong with 8.1 when it comes to Burning Discs but not for all people, first time I thought it was a common and known issue but it seems that there are some exceptions here, not to mention another compatibility issue with ADB/Fastboot drivers if some of you own/use an Android device.
    This bothers me a lot because now I have both computers equipped with Windows 8.1 and there's no solution nor a workaround until this moment, let's see if we get something after GA date.

19. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    #20 murphy78, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    Just tested it. With AMD chipset drivers 13.9 results = FAIL shortly after starting burn.
    Without AMD chipset drivers results = SUCCESS

I used the default burn disc image utility.

Try removing your post-setup AMD / Intel drivers.

My motherboard is an Asus m5a99fx r2.0 pro AMD 990fx chipset board.

It probably has a problem filling up the burn buffer with the chipset drivers...
    They are doing the file caching much differently in 8.1 and I don't think the chipset companies know how to do everything yet...

*Edit: More testing leading to possible issues...
    Made another coaster using the default drivers... Could possibly be sub-standard blanks.
    It's possible the AMD drivers would work. I'm not gonna make a coaster pile just to test... 2 is enuf for me right now...

*edit2: curiosity got the better of me. I tested a bunch more dvd burns. About 1/2 of them coastered...
    I really don't know if it has anything to do with 8.1 or drivers at this point. I've tested installing amd drivers again and created a dvd without coastering...
    It could be that these blanks are just low quality or that Win8.1 has a big problem burning dvds... I don't really know...
    Either way, if I was gonna burn a bunch of dvds I'd probably try using win7 or win8.0 for now...