Asus X50SL

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Shadowmaster28, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Shadowmaster28

Shadowmaster28 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2015
    Manufacturer: ASUS
    Model: X50SL
    Bios: AMI
    Revision: 308

First of all thanks in advance.

I have some doubts.

The modding that the modders do is just for making the os activated trough bios modding?

Is it possible to mod this bios in order to make it more compatible with software?

The problem i'm experiencing is related to bios since others have the same problem. I'm trying to install Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 in my asus x50sl but they fail when loading from the boot media giving the error system thread exception not handled.

Installing Windows 8 has no problem at all. Installing Windows 10 in vmware installs just fine. So the hardware is compatible what is not is the bios since i cannot install from any boot media with win8.1 or win10.

Could you mod the bios to be more compatible in order to install these operating systems?

Thank you and reply as soon as you can please.

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    likely needs unlock menus and play with settings .. VT or Disable SDHC reader.
    i havent unlocked menus.. but im sure someone can

3. Shadowmaster28

Aug 14, 2015
    Hi, thank you for you reply.

You mean unlocking those capabilities thoughout bios modding?
    Because right now it has not those options in the menu to be changed.
    I would really apreciate that someone would look into this because it is a shame having a nice notebook that runs well win8 and can not run other windows because of bios incompatibility.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #4 LatinMcG, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    seems you have latest bios 308.. hmm fresh win 7 or 8 instal then upgrade to 10 via windows update

5. Shadowmaster28

Aug 14, 2015
    i have already tried that long before i created this thread.

As i said it installs fine win 7 and win 8 in fresh installs. But upgrading to 10 it fails giving system thread exception not handled error.

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  7. Shadowmaster28

Aug 14, 2015
    As i said in the first post i can't do a fresh install of Windows 10 nor Windows 8.1 in this machine. Since 8.1 and 10 do hardware checks and in this case the bios has not those features it requires to check and to allow the Windows 10 to load to installation simple it fails and thats why it gives the error "system thread exception not handled". this error is related to hardware incompatibility among other things.
    The solution here is a modded bios or somehow change the setup of Windows installation to not check hardware in initial installation.

I have installed Windows 10 in other pcs and it installs just fine simply because they are compatible. But in a vmware machine created inside this asus x50sl i was able to install win10. There are other asus models that are affected by the problema i'm experiencing.

I've already googled the issue and noone has found a solution yet. Since in this fórum is more advanced related to modding installations and also bios modding i thought i could ask for your help.

So i ask again the bios of my laptop can be modded, if yes where and how i can ask for a modder to mod my bios?

Thank you for all the replys. :)

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    probably needs asus MSR unlock or CPU alias removed.. not sure. but the tools are there.. EFITools by coderush

9. Shadowmaster28

Aug 14, 2015
    Thanks but the Efitools by coderush is for modding the bios?

Im really not into bios modding and i would rather have someone take look into this in order to mod my bios and unlock the features you have mentioned.

Could you or someone you know in the forum mod the bios, please?

10. Howard Johnstone

Howard Johnstone MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2018
    This is not possible. From Windows ver 8.1 and forward using 64-bit version is NOT supported by CPU (ASus X50SL)
    You must remain with Windows 8.0 as the last available 64-bit version to support your laptop.