At wits end, No Audio, tried everything, help!!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by tamlovescarla, Jan 3, 2012.

1. tamlovescarla

tamlovescarla MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    Hey guys and gals,

I recently installed Windows 7 Sp1 on my friends older laptop (Toshiba Satelite L25) and everything is working perfectly, except the sound, it wont play anything, i have installed the latest Realtek AC97 drivers(tried several and i have the right one) and also K-lite codec pack and to the eye it works perfect, when i play music the speakers icon moves up and down etc On device manager it says the drivers are up to date and the device is working, but WHY oh why is there no sound? I have made sure that its set up to play audio through Realtek too!! I just dont get whats going on!! Headphones dont work either!!

So if anyone can help me out i would very much appreciate it!!

Thank you in advance!!

1.jpg 2.PNG

2. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    #2 zen45, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
    when you click on the icon in the lower right corner did you check the volume control ?
    did you also check the control panel for all the sound settings and the correct devices ? o_O
    some times we miss the simple things searching for the complicated answer :)

3. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #3 Humphrey, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
    Did the speakers work before installing Windows 7 (also, you say you installed Windows 7 SP1, does that mean W7 was already installed and you installed the SP1 update or did you do a clean install from XP or an upgrade from vista?)

Try using the drivers from the previous install.
    Try uninstalling the drivers, erasing everything you can related the the sound drivers. I suggest running ccleaner afterwards, restart, then reinstall drivers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. allbaitron

allbaitron MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2011
    First you should check whether it can work before you install it. If not, you should check your systems, such as the volume control etc, if it works, then you can check voice frequency, audio card. Sound problems can be caused by cables that aren't connected properly, corrupt drivers, incompatible drivers, sound settings, missing updates, and problems with your sound card. You should check all the details.
    Hope can help you!:biggrin:

5. tamlovescarla

tamlovescarla MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    Thanks for replying guys

@ Zen45 yeah your right sometimes we over complicate things, but i have done all the obvious, any other suggestions?

@ Humphrey I done a clean install of Win 7 sp1 the previous OS was XP sp3 the pc is running excellent apart from the sound!! I'll try your suggestion, thanks!! Oh and where would i find the previous installed drivers? as the sound did work beforehand!! and the sound card is obviously still working as i have no hardware errors or anything!!

@ allbaitron thanks for the reply and stating the obvious but i have checked all of that and im at a complete loss as to what the deal is with this!! i hate to give up but i am about to!! :mad:

Thanks again for the replys any and all suggestions welcome or even better a solution!!

6. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011

Very good suggestion, I would say try that.

But if it indeed doesn't work try find the hardware ID in the control panel for the sound card, search around the internet for the proper drivers or find a program that will identify the ID and search for you. If your able to get the driver to work, try bringing it over to Windows 7 and installing the driver. I have done this many times, sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...