ATi Card's SPI / EEPROM

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Carel, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Hi everyone,
    I recently screwed up my ATi Radeon HD 4870's BIOS - very badly. I tried to mod the BIOS so the card would identify itself as an nVIDIA card. This might sound stupid, but I tried to make PhysX work on a Radeon Card... Long story. Anyways, the card still worked, but I couldn't flash back any previous BIOS to the board, becaue ATiFlash told me the card is not ATi (ironic). So, using a PCI VGA card wouldn't help me either, because, as said, the card was still working, I just couldn't flash it's BIOS anymore.

So, I tried to de-solder the SPI / EEPROM to reprogram it & one of the pins broke off... Very, very bad. The original SPI was a "Pm25LV010" - PMC (128k / 1-megabit). Unfortunately I couldn't find that exact chip, so I bought a 4x of "A25L080" - Amic chips. I know they are 8-megabit, but I programmed only the first 128k. I then soldered the SPI back to the board & the card was working again. AtiFlash couldn't access this new SPI, obviously it wouldn't support such large SPI's on a GFX card. AtiFlash is not coded to do this, but at that stage I didn't care, the card was working.

Later I found out that some of the ATi cards uses the "M25P10" - ST chips. So I ordered one & programmed it (it costed 5 times more than chips 8x it's size - expensive). Now, AtiFlash detecs the SPI correctly & I can flash the card agian using AtiFlash, no hassles. Now, my question is: If there is anyone that reads this topic, which owns an ATi card, can you please run AtiFlash / Winflash & just check what SPI does it report & this post this information for me, please. Just run Winflash / AtiFlash on your PC (you don't need to flash anything, just run it) & tell me what SPI does it report. I need this information, so I can know in future what SPI's are recognised by AtiFlash.

Thanks!

2. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009