Ati Radeon 5470 mobility overheats often

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by paulysch, Oct 29, 2011.

1. paulysch

paulysch MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2011
    Hello,

It's my first post. I have a problem, here it is: I am playing kinda high-resources requiring games, like BF3, Driver San Francisco, NFS World, etc, and my video card (Ati Radeon 5470 mobility) overheats very often. Laptop just shut down, and when i am turning it on, the BIOS message says that laptop got overheat. And what else i did found out that it shut downs when it reaches 93 - 95 degrees Celsium. And here is another clue: my videocards fan does not even spin! It is shown that fan speed is 0 rpms. And usage is 30%...

how to solve this problem? becouse if i play those games above 20 min, my laptop shuts down! Appreciate your help :)

P.S. sorry for my bad english

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    The 5470 is just a chip with no fans.

What you should look for is a BIOS update as maybe it's a bug with a sensor and that corrects it :g:

The only other thing I can think of is investing in one of them laptop cooling pads if you're going to be playing games like BF3.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. paulysch

paulysch MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2011
    If my videocard does not have fan, than only two or even 1 fan left: processor fan (if it exists) and/or main fan, which is doing all the work inside there...3 months before i had nothing similar, no thermal shutdowns or something like that...

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. paulysch

paulysch MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2011
    #5 paulysch, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
    (OP)
    My laptop is HP G72, BIOS version Hewlett-Packard F.47 15/02/2011...

and I read about the cooling pads. Would it help to avoid overheat? If yes, than what i should check, notice to the cooling pads parameters? For example; fan size, fan number, fan speed, etc...? If it wouldn't help, what else could i do to reduce videocards temp?

EDIT: is there any way to adjust fan speed? Becouse it works only 30%, no matter what you are playing or doing. I just did a stress test

6. Darkchyld

Darkchyld MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2011
    The G72 is a fairly new model is it not? I've had to deal with many of HP's DV series machines running way too hot. The thermal pads they use on the heat sinks deteriorate rapidly. The fix is simple in concept, replace those with metal. I use .025" copper cut to size and a quality thermal paste. The hard part is you have to take it apart to do it. If your under warranty go through HP.

7. paulysch

paulysch MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2011
    you mean that metal thing just above the keyboard? Yeah, i noticed that too that when i am playing, i am litterally cannot touch it becouse of heat! It's written "ALTEC lansing" on that thing. If i want to change it, what should i do?

8. Darkchyld

Darkchyld MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm looking at the manual from HP, that’s just the speakers and a switch but the battery is just under it. Is that getting hot? Try removing it and just use the AC, still getting hot in that area? Worst case is replace the speakers. If you don't mind slightly used I'll bet you can find them from $10-$15.

9. paulysch

paulysch MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2011
    it's getting overheat even removing the battery. Maybe i should buy cooling pad? Would it help?

10. Darkchyld

Darkchyld MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2011
    Cooling pad couldn't hurt. I wish I had one in front of me so I could give you some better advise.

BTW, exactly what model is yours?

11. paulysch

paulysch MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2011
    Dunno, but it says HP G72...nothing more

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 11/1/2011, 10:58:11
    Machine name: xxxxxx-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP G72 Notebook PC
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3894MB RAM
    Page File: 2115MB used, 5670MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

12. Darkchyld

Darkchyld MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2011
    Somewhere, might even be in the battery compartment, is a small tag. It will have something like "G72-b50US". HP has like 30 models in the G72 line.

13. paulysch

paulysch MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2011
    Ah, yeah, found it :D. Model: a30SO

14. Darkchyld

Darkchyld MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2011
    #14 Darkchyld, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
    That helps ALOT! Ok, the GPU is activly cooled. I don't know if HP used those dammed thermal pads or not but I would get a quailty thermal compound, like Artic Silver, take it apart and clean and reapply. IF it has pads, they are usually blue in color and seem like small sponges, remove them, measure the gap, I use wax and a micrometer, replace with metal. If you'll google you can find the service manual at HP's website. Its not hard to take apart, just pay attention to what goes where. A camera is helpful. I use an egg carton to keep track of screws. DON'T just pull on wires on the connectors! I made a little tool from a small screwdriver, bent the edge over to make a little hook, works wonders!

Heres the manual, h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02623152.pdf

15. paulysch

paulysch MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2011
    Since i am not good at removing PC's parts, i cannot take that risk. It's not even MY OWN laptop. So what you are saying is to remove some parts from my laptop?

16. Darkchyld

Darkchyld MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2011
    Not remove, BUT, it is a total take down. The cooling unit will be the last part you CAN remove. You'll be removeing it, cleaning it up, and makeing some measurements and possibily changes, then it all goes back together. Take a moment an DL the manual and read through it. Its really no harder than taking a desktop tower apart, its just the parts you'r dealing with are smaller. Wish I could post pics and I'd show you some of the ones I've done.. :p

17. paulysch

paulysch MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2011
    ok, many thanks :)

18. bencasina

bencasina MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    i got a cooling pad that the laptop sits on a few months ago and its been the best investment i have made, it keeps the pc cool when gaming.

19. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #19 Muerto, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021