Attempt at OEM installation prompts for activation key

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by 11BlueEgyptians, Jun 1, 2014.

1. 11BlueEgyptians

11BlueEgyptians MDL Novice

May 31, 2014
    Hi,

I downloaded a copy of Win7 Professional SP1 from Digital River Content in order to do an SLP install on a machine with a SLIC 2.1 bios.

I changed the channel line in the ei.cfg file from retail to OEM and added the $oem$ folder in the sources directory with the requisite folders and files:

sources\$oem$\$$\setup\scripts\slp.cmd
    sources\$oem$\$$\system32\oem\HP.XRM-MS

After entering the user/computer information, I am being prompted to enter a product key.

If I choose to skip this step and run the very same slp.cmd from the installation disc which I added, Windows successfully activates.

I thought that this was supposed to all be done automatically. Am I missing something?

2. CaffeinePizza

CaffeinePizza MDL Novice

May 19, 2013
    I don't know much about this stuff, but where is your setupcomplete.cmd?

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    Rename slp.cmd to setupcomplete.cmd and try again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 11BlueEgyptians

May 31, 2014
    #4 11BlueEgyptians, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    (OP)
    I didn't create one. :/

I had originally used a Dell OEM disc and just changed those two files and removed the rest, which I assumed to be just branding stuff. I don't ever recall seeing a setupcomplete.cmd script.

I did a bunch of other things to that installation, such as slipstreaming SP1, removing all the images besides Professional and using the boot.wim and other files from an English-only Enterprise iso in order to make it smaller. This kludged installation resulted in it prompting me for the activation key, so I thought I'd just download a clean ISO, hoping I wouldn't get prompted.

Thanks for the reply. Thanks to s1ave77 as well. I'll rename the script and try it again.

5. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    If i got this correct in that case you should rename to firstlogon.cmd as setupcomplete.cmd is not processed on OEM media :g:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    @s1ave77 - Is there a guide on when and how setupcomplete.cmd, firstlogin.cmd, oobe.cmd, startnet.cmd, and so on- should be used? Seems to be some confusion on what, when, where, and why these are used.

Anyone else that knows, feel free to speak up. Wouldn't mind a FAQ thread, not to just include this but other helpful things for other instances of the Windows universe (not how their all spread out over what seems like 20+ threads)

7. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Not to my knowlegde so far. Using myself setupcomplete and firstlogon only. Stumbled over the OEM limitation somewhere here in the forums, but can't recall where it was :g:.

8. 11BlueEgyptians

May 31, 2014
    I renamed slp.cmd to setupcomplete.cmd. I still got prompted for the key, which I skipped. The script does get processed, however, since Windows reports it is activated.

I'd love to know how to suppress the prompt, but it isn't the end of the world.

Anything you guys can do to help me better understand the process is greatly appreciated. Ultimately I'd like to add Enterprise to the iso if possible, though that's probably best left for another topic, likely it's already been discussed. ;)

In the meantime, I'm going to do some more searching.

9. CaffeinePizza

CaffeinePizza MDL Novice

May 19, 2013
    you need unattend it sounds like

10. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    I thought this was intruduced first in Win8, Win7 doesn't have that limitation

11. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Use Autounattend.xml

or you can change the channel in ei.cfg to Volume, and setupcomplete.cmd should take care of installing the oem key

12. 11BlueEgyptians

May 31, 2014
    #12 11BlueEgyptians, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    The channel was changed to OEM on the downloaded ISO. It stayed at OEM for the previous attempt with the kludged Dell DVD.

As for the Dell installation DVD, I haven't actually used it, so I can't say if it prompts for an activation key.

It does have an OOBE.CMD script:
    Code:
    @echo off

start /w regedit /s %systemroot%\setup\scripts\oem.reg
    del /F /Q %systemroot%\setup\scripts\oem.reg
    if not exist %systemroot%\panther mkdir %systemroot%\panther
    if not exist %systemroot%\panther\unattend.xml copy %systemroot%\setup\scripts\oem.xml %systemroot%\panther\unattend.xml
    call %systemroot%\setup\scripts\slp.cmd
    del /F /Q %systemroot%\setup\scripts\slp.cmd

:Cleanup
    del /F /Q %systemroot%\setup\scripts\oobe.cmd

Seeing that I want to name a user and computer during installation, an extra mouse-click to skip the activation is really no big deal.

I should look into vlite or something, if only for the experience, though. I'm wondering if there's an easy way to just put the key into the specific image so it runs just once. That way I can do Enterprise and Professional on the same installation ISO, maybe.