Audio from remote (RDP or other)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by rogierel, Jan 24, 2019.

1. rogierel

rogierel MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2012
    This is probably not the right forum to ask, but who knows, maybe some audio fanatic is reading this :stereo:

I have a powerful workstation that I just have for audio composing, now I work with my laptop remote on the workstation, right now I am using RDP, which is giving me a delay with the audio (I was told this is because of the network and latency problems).
    Now I am trying to find a solution for this, so either settings with RDP that can improve the audio throughput or some other remote control software that is better for audio.

Perhaps someone already experienced this, maybe someone who was trying to use their main gaming system and game on it remotely or something similar, I guess that would give the same audio issues.

Thanks for your input! :clap3:

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    well this is not proper forum to ask....but when it comes to network latency via WIFI is has to do with what kind of HW your running nic and router....maybe their software out their that can reconfigure the setting and help with the latency.....i think gaming or music forum mite be were the answer mite be. good luck

3. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Stardock have utility called Acoustic Bridge. It might do what you need. The same product is also built in to their full-blown multiplicity product (a remote desktop type solution) but Acoustic Bridge is available on its own quite cheaply. It's also available as a demo.

AB installs on two (or more) PCs and sends the sound from the one configured as the transmitter to the others (receivers). There doesn't seem to be any noticeable latency. I sometimes use it for gaming with the gaming rig as the transmitter and a remote screen and keyboard/mouse at my tiny HP PC (the receiver) in the living room. I don't use RDP though, instead I have a 'dumb' USB switch sharing the peripherals between the PCs. I don't know if RDP would interfere with the AB driver although my guess is it won't. Just set the RDP session to play sounds at the remote PC instead of bringing them over to the local PC.

If I get chance later I'll check out RDP/AB and see if it still works.

I do have an issue with AB, in that it sometimes stops working (for no apparent reason) on the receiver and needs the service restarting. I've reported that to Stardock, and so have a few other people since, but it seems a rare issue. Might be my HP - it's odd in a few ways.

Give it a demo, see if it's better than RDP itself.

4. rogierel

rogierel MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2012
    #4 rogierel, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    (OP)
    @foxyrick: great, that sounds promising, I will give it a try too! Let me know if you find any issues with RDP or how it worked for you. Very much appreciated!

I wonder how this works with video or music notation software, as the video images will be forwarded with RDP and there will be some kind of latency with these images I am sure and then the audio.
    But I guess I will need to experiment with that and see how it works.
    Right now I am experiencing when I use my music notation software that the audio lagging, with the result that I see the music notes but not hear the corresponding audio (roughly 2 second delay).
    I am kind of used to it now, but the music software is always focussing on the current note, so the audio is never in sync.

5. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    A quick test with RDP, using AB for the sound, went OK. I tried playing a video, and clicking a button that plays Windows' default 'ping' sound. The sound was as close to in-sync as I could tell. That was with RDP configured to play sounds at the remote PC.

If I changed RDP to play sounds at the local PC, it did so and AB did not get chance to be involved. However I then got the delayed sound, by around 0.5 seconds or maybe a little more.

I am on a wired LAN, not wireless; I guess your laptop is wireless...? That might make a difference and only local testing with your kit will show if it works for you.

Give it a try with the AB demo, and maybe try the full Multiplicity remote desktop demo too if AB alone isn't close enough. Good luck.

6. Thomas Dubreuil

Thomas Dubreuil MDL Senior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...