Audio Sound Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Dazeoff, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Dazeoff

Dazeoff MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2009
    Sure open to any suggestions. I'm running Win XP and I'm having a problem with my sound card. I have an Abit NF7 motherboard (about 5 years old) with an intergrated sound card. When I first boot up sound works fine but after leaving my PC on for a few hours I loose the sound completly until I re-boot the PC. Sound is OK again for a few more hours. Has any one experienced this situation? I've tried to reload the driver for this sound card but that did not correct the situation. I believe that I did install the correct driver but can't be 100% sure. I was considering installing another sound card but I understand that I must first disconnect the Abit card. I have the Abit user manual but I must say that I really don't understand how to disengage the original card. The teck language is far beyond my comprehension. Any answers and or some direction would be most appreciated. Thanks very much. Dazeoff

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Mute?

Next time the audio quits, open the volume control and see, if per chance, the main volume or any of the player volumes are muted thinking - although I have never heard of it happening - that maybe some glitch mutes the volume after a few hours; the mute is cleared upon reboot but then applied again after another few hours.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dazeoff

Dazeoff MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2009
    Hi Monk thanks for the reply. I appreciate your input. I checked the audio & sound tab in the control panel and my sound device tabs are muted. The properties tab also shows the device is working properly. My sound card is an NVDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface at this location; PCI Bus 0, Device 6, Function 0. I'm not able to activate the sound device unless I re-boot. I've also attempted to reinstall the driver from the net, which did not correct the situation. I'm probably going to try to reinstall the original Abit NV-1.2M installation disk. I also have a new Creative Labs sound card on order but I don't know how to disable the intergrated nForce sound card. It seems that I have to go into the BIOS to make some changes, which is scarry for me. :eek: The last thing I want to do is screw up my PC.

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Mute

Are you saying that you cannot uncheck the mute box(es), i.e., they are grayed out and unresponsive when you click on them?

The NF7 came in different versions: NF7, NF7-M, NF7-S, NF7-S2, NF7-S2G. For future reference, can you verify which NF7 you have? The precise model is imprinted on the mobo circuit board (usually in rather large letters). If you do not see the mobo model, look in your manual (4200-0316-10 Rev. 1.01) page 1-4 (Adobe p. 8) where on the next three pages you will see images of the different mobos by model number. Find yours.

Regardless, mobos differ regarding disabling integrated peripherals when a card is installed. In some the card will automatically override the integrated, on others, the integrated must be disabled either by a jumper or via the BIOS.

1. Enter the BIOS setup by pressing the DEL key during the BIOS POST but BEFORE Win boot starts. (Press DEL once, repeatedly, or hold down: I have had mobos that required a different "touch")
    2. Go to page 3-1 (Adobe p.35) where you will see a screen shot of the BIOS setup window. Arrow down to "Integrated Peripherals" and press enter.
    3. Go to page 3-16 (Adobe p. 50), section 3.5. There you will see a screen shot of the "Integrated Peripherals" setup window. Highlight "OnChip PCI Device" and press enter.
    4. Go to p.3-17 (Adobe p.51) and at the bottom of the page you will see a screen shot of the "OnChip PCI Device" which is what you will be looking at after step no. 1, above.
    5. Highlight "Audio controller" and press enter. As noted on p. 3-15 (Adobe p.52) this will give you the option of enabling or disabling the audio controller. Select (highlight) "Disable" and press enter.
    6. Press F10, elect to SAVE and EXIT and the system will reboot.

Finally, you do not have to reinstall all of the BIOS drivers if you are unsure of the installation, i.e., you can simply reinstall the audio driver. Go to page A-1 (Adobe p. 69) and read about installation. On the bottom left of the page you will see an image-step 2 which is a screen shot of the install options. If you only want to reinstall the original audio driver, uncheck all of the rest.

One note on drivers: usually, upgrading drivers adds improved functionality to a system - BUT NOT ALWAYS. Me and NVIDIA simply do not get along (I now use Radeon exclusively). Why? I have had more issues with NVIDIA than I care to. In other words, as with any driver upgrade, the upgrade may cause issues. If so roll back the driver; there is no law that says you have to ALWAYS install the latest drivers.

Finally, if you find that installing a card does not cure the audio issue, then the OS would be the likely cause. Once thing you can do is go to START>RUN> and type: sfc /scannow>OK. Have your XP install disc in the drive. SFC is "System File Checker." What it does is compare what is installed with what should be installed. If it finds altered files, it deletes and recopies them. You may or may not (usually not) have to do Windows Update in case it replaced legitimately updated files. If you find that Win Update wants to install a driver that you have determined you do not want, simply ignore/hide it.

What would I do? I like to diagnose an issue if only for future reference.

1. Uninstall current audio driver. Reboot, when XP alerts on new hardware, place mobo install disc in drive, browse to and point specifically to the audio driver (do not let Windows automatically find driver). Reboot and see what happens to your audio.
    2. If that does not cure the issue, run sfc /scannow.
    3. Lastly, disable integrated audio and install your card.

I would follow this routine because if it is an OS issue, the likelihood is that it will manifest itself with the new card as well.

Hope this helps.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Dazeoff

Dazeoff MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2009
    Monk, I really want to tell you how much I appreciate all of the info that you listed and the time that you put in listing the data. I've printed out the bios info and will definately give it a try. I've just been on the NVIDIA nForce link and also the ABIT site to D/L all of the current drivers. I had to do a reboot so at this minute the sound is OK. I'll see what goes in another hour or two.

Again thanks so much for your time and this information.
    Dazeoff

6. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Glad to help

Thanks. Actually, helping you helps expand my knowledge and may also help others who develop the same issue - and that is what this community is all about.

The fact that I am retired, old, have no wife or dog, and have more time on my hands than I know what to do with in no way influenced my decision to spend hours searching, DLing, and reading through beaucoup MBs of data that have nothing to do with the quality of my life and looming death. :cool:

Monk

7. Dazeoff

Dazeoff MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2009
    Monk, I'm old too but age is just a state of mind. Will be 70 on my next b'day and just retired 8 months ago. I can sure relate to having a lot of time on my hands. There is just so much painting and yard work that I want to do and I don't like golf. I recently started a small service business to keep my mind active. Yes, the economy is in bad shape and I really wanted to work again but I didn't want to take a job from someone that needs to support their family. Permit me to make a suggestion! Get a dog. I have 3 Shetland Sheep dogs (Shelties) and I can't tell you how much company they are and the unconditional love they give. Every day is a good day, just some days are gooder than others.

Your wisdom and kindness is so much appreciated.
    Dazeoff

8. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #8 HMonk, Mar 29, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
    Dog, eh?

Dazeoff, you got three years on me. Glad to see at your tender age you are delving into computers. Most of my old friends regard computers as so incomprehensible that they won't even venture a try at operating one. I'm starting my 21 year with computers, build a new one about every three years, and can no more imagine being without one than I can being without a car.

A forum like MyDigital, a library like Google, and a good cup of coffee go along way toward demystifying computers. Judging by what you say, having a loving hound curled up at your feet can only improve the situation.

Troubleshooting can be a challenge and fun. A challenge because often you will find you have an issue whose solution, while it worked for someone else, does not work for you. We both have XP running, e.g., but because our respective systems are configured differently and because we have an array of different applications installed, one man's solution is another's "blue screen of death." (BSOD)

I think it's fun, and rewarding, because in the process of helping someone, I grow in knowledge, i.e., you and I are, at once, student and teacher.

Glad to have you aboard and look forward to your participation. Periodically surf the forum, see what folks are doing, look up (Google) jargon, that tech language you mentioned, and before long, you may find yourself posting a solution to someone's issue because you've been there and done that. Got questions, post at will and/or drop me a PM (private message).

And thanks for your kind words.

EDIT: forgot to mention. If you tweak the BIOS and then find this, that, or the other fails, or Win boot fails, simply go back into the BIOS setup and load either the "Optimized Defaults" (preferred - press F7) or the "Fail-Safe Defaults (press F6). Refer to the screen shot on page 3-32 (Adobe p.66) and note the options/legend along the bottom of the setup window, and then on page 3-33 (Adobe p.67), section 3-9 and 3-10, you will find a brief description of what each option does. In other words, no matter what you changed in the BIOS settings that may have loused up your system, by pressing F7, e.g., in the BIOS setup, you are reverted back to a stable optimal system that allows you to boot, figure out what went other than how you hoped and then try again. Or, if you remember what you changed and what it originally was, simply change it back.

Monk