Audio_Ts

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by implague, May 15, 2009.

1. implague

implague MDL Junior Member

Oct 30, 2008
    moderators plz help to get rid of it
    i recently burn some avi files to dvd with the help of ashampoo burning studio this programme converts those files in to .vob but the problem is when i insert that dvd in my dvd player it shows thw movie but the voice is not there then i cheked it in my computer it only has video_ts files but the other folder named audio_ts is empty thats the reason it does not able to play the sound i guess so plz tell me how to make audio_ts files of those already written video files or else suggest me the another programme to convert my files in to dvd though there r som like convert X to dvd but it only converts and make 1 file at a time i need help plz help me plz do quick reply

2. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    #2 2centsworth, May 16, 2009
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
    audio_ts can be empty. The audio is interleaved with the Mpeg2 video in the VOB files.
    There are a number of different audio formats a DVD can use, maybe you do not have the correct codec to play audio back (like an AC-3 filter), or maybe audio was not in the source files or not transcoded properly. If there is no audio, you have to re-author the DVD to add audio.
    You can play a single .VOB file with most mpeg video players like windows media player, and when you do you should hear audio.

Stolen shamelessly from someones web page......

What do all these file extensions have in common? Well, for starters they’re all linked to different types of video formats. BUP, VOB and IFO files are DVD video files and are usually present in any DVD disc which contains a movie. You usually do not notice them because you put the DVD in your DVD player, or your HDD, and the movie starts on its own (since both your DVD player and your DVD ROM on your computer are set to automatically detect and play DVD movies and other media when they are detected).
    So, you might be asking yourself, why do I need to know about these files? Well the answer is simple. Sometimes the DVD tells you that it cannot play the movie because the disc is corrupt. This is a very common problem, and by knowing a little bit about these files, and what they are, you can most of the times manage to play the corrupt DVD if you know what you can do. This is why I’m writing this short article today, to clear things up and maybe help some lost sheep back to the movie viewing flock.

When you access the DVD drive you'll see at least 2 directories:

14.08.2008 03:20 <DIR> AUDIO_TS
    14.08.2008 05:53 <DIR> VIDEO_TS

AUDIO_TS is used for DVD Audio and contains the audio files, whereas VIDEO_TS is used to store all data for the movie. There may also be more directories which contain DVD-ROM features for your PC.

Enough detail! What exactly are these files and how can they be of use to me?

VOB

VOB stands for DVD Video Object. It is basically one of the core files found on DVD video discs and contains the actual movie data, including an MPEG-2 video stream and support audio encoded in either of these formats (MP2, AC3, DTS etc.) In order to view stand-alone VOB files, you need to have a DVD player software package that supports VOB playback.

IFO

DVD video content is broken into titles (movies or albums) and parts of titles (chapters or songs). In video editing, IFO normally refers to a file on DVD video disc and stands for Information hence the name. IFO files basically contain all the information a DVD player needs to know about a DVD so that the user can navigate and play everything properly.

BUP

BUP files are essentially are an exact copy of an IFO file. Backup files with the BUP file extension on DVD discs store information about the content of the DVD. These types of files may be accessed if the VIDEO_TS.IFO file cannot be read or in case of corruption. Like IFO files, BUP files are not encrypted. This file, like the VIDEO_TS.IFO file, is required to be present in a DVD-compliant disc.

How to make good use of these files?

Media Player Classic is a multimedia player which is free of charge and readily available on the internet for download. It can play VOB, IFO and BUP files. To load the menu and chapter selection information, you need to open the IFO file (not the VOB file). This way the MPC player will play the copyright notices and any trailers before the menu can be accessed if there is one (please note that some DVDs do not contain any menu or chapter information to select subtitles, sound type and stuff like that). However since you have no remote control on your computer, you have to use the Navigation drop-down menu in the MPC player and select which part of the menu you want to access.

To learn more about file extensions, I use this library. It’s a massive authoritative database which is constantly updated with new file extensions. I have always found what I was looking for in file-extension.com and was never let down when I needed to find out what certain file types on my computer were, if it was ok to remove them, their potential threat and the application attributed association.

3. implague

implague MDL Junior Member

Oct 30, 2008
    ok can u plz send me the link to dnld the full programme n does it contains both files if convert somthing in to dvd files?