auto updates -- not hard to stop

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by stayboogy, Dec 16, 2015.

1. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    i've seen a lot of people complaining about windows automatic updates,

and honestly,

i think it's ridiculous.

go to computer management, services and applications, services, and stop and disable windows update service.

no more automatic updates.

how hard was that?

and for all you tin foil hat folks who will rebut with "windows turns it back on automatically" I have to say you're crazy. i did this 10 days ago and windows hasn't turned it back on and if it could it would when i try to manually update which it does not...

ScreenShot004.png

this is what you will see when you try to manually update after disabling the service. you will see the last time updates were scanned for / installed otherwise.

2. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    I use the group policy to not use internet to download update it works

3. erdem444

erdem444 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2012
    It's not that easy. See my post and the answer : in DWS topic, post 112 and 113

And i still couldn't get the answer of this : post 115

bTw, what's the reason for limitins links ? I can't even post mydigitallife forum links.

Someone post these links please. :)

4. ingopan

ingopan MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2011
    How did you do that in particular please?

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    That isn't the issue, the issue is not being able to hide specific updates, like you can in previous OSs, so it's either none, or all, no choice

Or use that pathetic MS tool....

6. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    See, that's just my point. There is absolutely no need for any elaborate "blocking tools", disabling of automatic updates, and especially workarounds like that when all you have to do is set WU to auto-install security updates only. It's one simple checkbox.

7. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Yes turn it all off, then do not use DISM or SFC repair operations:eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    thanks for clarifying the issue.

this is a pain in the ass.

i'll just not update until the first service pack is released, if there is one in the future. to be quite honest i've never really believed the windows update briefs about all the hotfixes, i mean, who is really gonna check to see if they do what they say they do? how can we really know that they are not ways of making us more vulnerable instead of safer?

9. SonicMojo

SonicMojo MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2015
    Not good enough. See my response to your other post. Especially regarding KB 3112343. (Dec 2015)

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Why not install Windows Update Minitools in my sig, you can have it set to notify you of updates, hide the ones you do not want, they stay hidden until you bring them out of retirement. It's a neat tool.:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Rearis

Rearis MDL Member

Nov 29, 2014

How do you themed like this?