Automatic systemrestore points are not working, even if enabled manually

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Obelix, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Obelix

Obelix MDL Junior Member

Oct 2, 2008
    #1 Obelix, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hi,

in my other thread i bricked my system and systemrestore was not available. Now, after reinstalling, i thought, that simply reenabling the automatic system restore points to prevent this kind of problem. But i failed. You can only create manual points.

Automatic triggers e. g. while installing TrueCrypt are answered ok, but not done. There is a task called "SystemRestore" which has no triggers in Windows 10. I set the normal "Windows 7" triggers "every day 0:00" and "system startup". But nothing works. In the log you'll see, that the Task ended successfully, which is not true.

Code:
    rundll32.exe /d srrstr.dll,ExecuteScheduledSPPCreation
    If you call the command from elevated prompt, you 'll get an error "entry ExecuteScheduledSPPCreation" missing.

If there wasn't DirectX12, i would stay on Windows 7.

2. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    I have been using a free program named Restore Point Creator 3.2 Build 10. Works flawlessly in Windows 10, and you can set it to make the auto restore point at any time of day, or whenever the computer is turned on if that time has been missed. The program will also clean up old restore points, if you wish, and you specify how long to keep the old restore points. If your allocated space for restores becomes full, the program will clear out room for the new auto restore point, also. Basically, anything having to do with restore points, can be controlled by this program.

I very much like the program for it's 'set it and forget it' abilities. Well supported, too.

Just one man's opinion........ :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Obelix

Obelix MDL Junior Member

Oct 2, 2008
    I have found a solution, without third party tools:

%windir%\System32\wbem\WMIC.exe /Namespace:\\root\default Path SystemRestore Call CreateRestorePoint "Restore Point Name", 100, 7
    Thanks to @tweakradje

I created a new task, which will run every day. Only problem is the nameing. I tired to use a variable %date%, but it didn't work.