Automatic Updates Vs. Compatibility Center Updates

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jpl327, Jan 24, 2010.

1. jpl327

jpl327 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    I activated Windows 7 Ultimate via a bios mod, OEM Cert & Key. According to the information contained in the Windows 7 Respository, it's safe to use MS automatic updates and apply them automatically. Is there any reason to turn off automatic updates and start getting my updates via the Update Compatibility Center? Should I be concerned even though I am activated with a bios mod?

2. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    Ipersonally set Windows Updates to Notify me before installing Updates that way I can approve of what is installed.
    So far I have installed every update except the Language Packs.
    No problems so far.
    Some of the Updates in the compatibility Thread are leaked and are only supposed to be used if you experience a specific problem.
    Therefore ypu should be careful if you use them, some may do more Harm than good on your PC.

3. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    I cannot speak for all, but most people who use the Update Center / Updates Lists, are looking to create an up-to-date DVD. Otherwise, the rest are only reading the Update Center to verify which updates are safe before installing (and using Windows Updates to download/install them).

So in essence, downloading them separately only has the advantage if you are creating a custom install DVD. If you have one machine and are not re-installing your OS very often, then it is much easier to use Windows Update. I would do like NoJuan says and set it to notify before downloading.

4. ffcloud2000

ffcloud2000 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Another reason why you would want to use Windows Update is if your someone that has Microsoft Security Essentials since it relys on the windows update system for definition updates

But yea i really just use the compatibility center for slip streaming updates into the dvd