Automatically log on an unattended domain server after powerfailure/updates.

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Rab, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    As the title says, how do I make a domain server in a remote location to restart and log in without my having to be there.
    Preferably a script to run as a service.
    The reason for this is that I can't get the remote log in to work to start the programs that, unfortunately, can not be run as a service.
    Safety is no problem since the room is locked for the public.

/Rab.

(Having a script that turns the clients on that domain of at a certan time at night woud be appreciated aswell).

2. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    #2 alien2xx, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    To have the server to autologin when it restarts (thinking on MS server):
    Try the command "control userpasswords2" on command line, select the user to automatically login and enter its password and that is that.
    To get rid of the press "CTL+ALT+DEL" option to login, just go to start > run > gpedit.msc
    go to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options
    Look for the option "Interactive Logon: Do not require CTL+ALT+DEL" and enable it.
    reboot, it should auto-login.
    If you need the server to restart on a schedule, just write a simple batch file to restart the server and schedule it with "Task Scheduler" as you need it.

Code:
    @echo off
    rem This will show a message on desktop with the message listed below.
    rem If no message is required, eliminate the /c and comment. /t is the time in seconds to wait before restart.
    shutdown /r /t 15 /c "I will restart this server in 15 seconds"

Does this help?

3. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    #3 Rab, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    (OP)
    Unfortunatly that sems to only work on non domain servers.
    Once it's joined I loose thje ability to enable that. After fideling a bit with a registry key I got the comand back, but it still does nothing to relogon.
    For now I'm stuck with the server just starting the background services without anyone loged on.

The batchfile will come in handy. I assume that it will work just aswell on a win7 machine joined to the server. I aime to force logout or even shutdown at a specific time on select machines.

/Rab

4. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009

Hi,
    I supposed it depends on how restrictive your domain is (AD policies), I remember having this on a win 2003 based domain and 2 win 2003 members with specific requirements and it worked just fine because had the same issue as you, win2008 and 2012 are more restrictive on its policies but should be a way.. and yes, the batch file should work on Win7 as well..

5. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #5 Mr Jinje, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017