Autostart

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by MrWoof, Dec 13, 2008.

1. MrWoof

MrWoof MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2008
    I have a diary program, Sidekick 98, which is perfect for my needs but I want it to start when I start Windows. The 'Startup' folder will not accept anything and copying it into the startup options via 'my computer' has no effect. Can anyone help?

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Start on Boot

I am going to assume you have a Windows OS, perhaps XP - yes????

To add progs to the boot/start sequence: Click on <START> -> <ALL PROGRAMS> -> <STARTUP> folder. Then right click the STARTUP folder and from the menu, click on <Open>.

In the STARTUP window, click on <FILE> -> <New> -> <SHORTCUT>. A dialog will open: click on <BROWSE> and browse to the Sidekick <*.exe> file where <*.exe> is the executable for Sidekick 98. Then click <NEXT> -> <FINISH>.

The new Sidekick (or whatever it is called) shortcut should now be listed in the STARTUP folder. Right click on the SIDEKICK shortcut and click on <PROPERTIES>. In the PROPERTIES window select the <SHORTCUT> tab and then from the <RUN> drop down menu select <MINIMIZED>.

Henceforth, the prog will run and its icon will be in the SYSTEM TRAY (where the date, time, etc, is).

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MrWoof

MrWoof MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2008
    Hi Monk,
    Thanks for the help but still no joy. Problem is I can't add anything to the startup folder, its read only and when I untick this, it initially accepts the change but reverts back after applying the change.
    Peter

4. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    Are you the administrator of the computer?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Permissions

The SF is normally read only but one is allowed to add progs to the list.

Following up on Offon's question: go to <ALL PROGRAMS> -> right click on <STARTUP> folder and click on <PROPERTIES>. In the <GENERAL> tab, <READ ONLY> will be checked. You can uncheck it to do stuff immediately, but when you reboot, it will be checked again. In the <SHARING> tab, "Do not share this folder" should be checked unless you expressly want to grant sharing permissions. In the <SECURITY> tab, in the top window, you will see names of users or user groups. Included in this list will be <SYSTEM>. Also included in the list will be the administrator and any others who have administrative permissions. In the bottom window you will see what system permissions are granted (usually all but "Special") In the <SECURITY> tab click on <ADVANCED>. In the <PERMISSIONS> tab you will see all those listed in the previous group or users window. Also, unless you expressly plan otherwise, the "Inherit from parent . . . ." box should be checked. Remaining in the <ADVANCED> tab, unless you previously added same, there will be no entries in the <AUDITING> window. In the <OWNER> tab, listed will be only those with administrative permissions - usually all of those listed in the <SECURITY> tab EXCEPT "System." Note too, that the "replace owner . . . ." (Security, advanced, owner) box should not be checked. In the <ADVANCED> tab, in <EFFECTIVE PERMISSIONS> no group or user is normally listed and all of the options are grayed out. Finally, the <CUSTOMIZE> tab is reserved for appearance-type tinkering of an already created startup file/folder.

If your startup properties approximate the above and, you are listed as an administrator (user name or computer name as part of a domain) then your permissions should be OK - assuming you are logged on as an administrator - which must be or you would be unable to change the folder attributes.

Next, check the properties of the Sidekick shortcut. After clicking on <STARTUP>, right click on the Sidekick shortcut - whatever it is called (an Icon with whatever you named it when you first created it - e.g., Sidekick 98) and then click on <PROPERTIES>. In the <GENERAL> tab, under "Location" you should see Root:\Docs and Settings\All users\Start menu. Normally, both attribute boxes are unchecked. You can ignore the <ADVANCED> tab in the <GENERAL> tab.

In the <SHORTCUT> tab, the type would be "application," the "target location" would be the program sub directory, and the target would usually be Root:\program files\the sub directory (that listed in the target location, above,)\ and the *.exe file that starts the Sidekick prog. Assuming program names it would look something like C:\program files\Sidekick 98\sidekick98.exe.

You did not say if Sidekick 98 was, otherwise, running OK on your system. Based on my info, I cannot say that Sidekick 98 is fully compatible with XP, although it may be generally compatible with NT (say Win2000). So, just for kicks, while we are monkeying around with the *.exe properties, I suggest you try something, if you have not already done so - which I would not think would make a difference regardless. However, in dubitatum, ex falgulatum!

After you verify the settings in the <SHORTCUT> tab, select the <COMPATIBILITY> tab. Under "Compatibility Mode," check the "run this program . . . ." box and, from the drop-down menu, select the "Windows 98/ Windows ME" option. You can ignore the rest of the settings.

Finally, in the <SECURITY> tab, in the upper window, most everyone should have permission to run the prog, and in the lower window, usually all but "special permissions" is allowed.

If your permissions/settings are as outlined, you should be able to add/modify the Startup folder entries. Make needed changes, if any, and let us know what the results are.

Can we assume that you are able to launch the prog from a DT/Quick launch icon or by clicking on the *.exe file in the program directory?

Monk

6. chianf092

chianf092 MDL Senior Member

Aug 29, 2008
    HMonk has the right idea, also are you trying to copy the program or the shortcut to the startup folder? Try creating a shortcut to the EXE file and then add that to the startup folder. You should be ok.

7. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #7 HMonk, Dec 24, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
    Shrortcuts

Chianf092: I am not sure what you are suggesting to try.

Startup entries are, in fact, shortcuts. Right click on any Startup entry and click on Properties; the properties box will open with the Shortcut tab selected by default. Remember, in the process I described, we are electing to create a new shortcut (right click Startup, Open, File, New, SHORTCUT.

Might you be describing an alternate method that I don't see?

Thanks, Monk