autounattend.xml for 32/64 AIO Win8 Setup w/o key entry

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by BugsB, Aug 20, 2012.

1. BugsB

BugsB MDL Junior Member

Apr 30, 2009
    I created this for the 'Windows 8 RTM AIO ISO (PRO+ENT)' on TPB, forever hating having to enter a SN during Windows setup. Only drawback is that - thanks to MS limitation of max. two product keys within an autounattend.xml- only TWO of the FOUR OS selections are visible in WinPE's OS selector, one per arch. I'D LOVE TO BE CORRECTED ON THIS 'CAUSE TO ME THAT STINKS!

see attachment. Anybody w. more permissions than me feel free to copy/paste content of the autounattend.xml into a code box (me newbie was not allowed to).

enjoy, and yes, feedback ;)

Attached Files:

2. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #2 Mr Jinje, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    Did you try to apply the product key inside each mounted image, using DISM.

Another more complicated way might be to apply a custom unattend.xml directly to each mounted image. It is more work because some settings will apply from unattend.xml inside the wim, and some other settings will be taken from the outside the wim copy (i think mostly the winpe stuff). Not sure if the dism apply unattended file command isn't simply just copying the xml into the panther directory.

Anyways, as I said, it's probably easier to apply the product key to each image.

3. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #3 CODYQX4, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

4. boyplay38

boyplay38 MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2012
    ei.cfg

can you plz upload the server 2012 ei.cfg.. so that I can put it in my windows iso.

5. Mr Been

Mr Been MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2008
    This the content of ei.cfg from
    9200.16384.120725-1247_x64frev_Server_Datacenter_VL_HRM_SSS_X64FREV_EN-US_DVD.iso

=======

[Channel]
    volume

[VL]

======

6. BugsB

BugsB MDL Junior Member

Apr 30, 2009
    sorry everybody for not getting back earlier - real life had totally slammed me, but now am finally on vacation and had time for some testing.

@ Mr Jinje: I did not know about DISM until you mentioned it, so no, I did not apply the product key inside each mounted image. FI: The AIO only contains ONE install.wim w. (accdg. to PowerISO 5.4) 4 images inside, of which oddly only 1 and 4 open in PowerISO when it asks me which to attach.

@ CODYQX4: from where would the AIO Win8 Pro/ Ent. 32/ 64 Setup installer conjure up the approriate key when only using ei.cfg? From how I understand c3po's Install Windows 8 Core and Pro RTM from MASD without any key [sorry this forum considers me a baby, blocking clickable links]

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/36343-Install-Windows-8-Core-and-Pro-RTM-from-MASD-without-any-key

correctly, the ei.cfg simply makes the installer bypass the key INPUT QUERY, but does certainly not insert a key in the background.

@ Mr Been: I finally worked it all out w. the ei.cfg trick by following alien2xx instructions for a AIO w/o any key input

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/36343-Install-Windows-8-Core-and-Pro-RTM-from-MASD-without-any-key/page3?p=622398&viewfull=1#post622398"]

:)

Thanks again everybody for all the input!