AV software for low specs notebook

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by gabris[LT], Dec 21, 2011.

1. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Hello, I'm intrested in forum users opinions, I have notebook, HP/Compaq nc6000
    specs:
    Intel Pentium 1.7GHz(Dothan, 2mb l2)
    1GB DDR333 RAM
    40GB HDD
    ATI 9600 32MB VGA(tweaked to 287MB)
    I'm running Avira Internet Security Premium 2012, maybe there are better solutions? :) cause it uses a lot of ram, in idle ~150MB, I need AV that mot much using CPU and RAM, what do I need from AV?
    Realtime protection(what writes to disk and when I'm browsing the internet) and Firewall.

2. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
  4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #6 Daz, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    If you're not going to be connected to the internet then you wouldn't get infected in the first place, that is unless you're running untrusted executables all of the time in which case you should use Sandboxie.
    • Google Chrome's built in sandbox will help protect your system when browsing
    • Sandboxie can run your untrusted executables, but you can also scan them online via Virus Total
    • ClamAV portable + Malwarebytes run manually will be fine
    • Keep Windows updated and if you're using XP then make sure you get the update to disable autorun

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    #7 gabris[LT], Dec 22, 2011
    (OP)
    In most, I'm connected to the internet, but sometimes not, and then I need some AV for untrusted USB sticks at most, and from stupid autorun.inf viruses.
    I'm using windows 7 Thin PC, I think have written that already in the first post.

6. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #8 Daz, Dec 22, 2011
    In that case Windows 7 has autorun disabled anyway so USB's can't infect you :)

If you download torrents or use P2P applications then you may want to have a scanner, but you don't need something active all of the time if you're using a browser such as Chrome.

People tend to think that they need an anti-virus but if you make a habit of checking your executables before you run them then you probably won't get infected. Also don't allow others to use your laptop, at least not under your account which is an administrator.

If you tend to browse "odd websites" then Firefox with NoScript inside Sandboxie is very secure. It's also going to use far less resources than an anti-virus.

7. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    #9 gabris[LT], Dec 22, 2011
    (OP)
    I'm using Firefox with Adblock Plus + AV, I want AV cause I'm using P2P networks, and sometimes browsing unknown websites(I'm student, so I need info for some presentantions that I'm searching via google). I'm downloading only from trusted P2P sites, so that's not a problem, but sometimes I need to launch unknown executables from friends usb stick and so on, had viruses from that. :) had Jeefo(infects all .exe files on local disks, well 75% of files were repaired that time, had viruses that ran out my disk out of space... and when disk C: has no free space it's a problem. I said what I need, Realtime scanner and firewall, it can be free or paid(in our times every paid software is free, for testing purposes it's O.K. :)) and what's the most important - low CPU/RAM usage.

8. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Well as I said, Sandboxie can do everything you need. If you're browsing some odd sites then you launch a sandboxed browser and if you're running some unknown exe's then you can sandbox them too. The sandbox will prevent any infected files from damaging your system and it uses far less resources than any anti-virus will. Also it has an advantage in that your anti-virus may not detect that the files infected and allow it to run, but running it in a sandbox in the first place won't infect your system.

If you feel you must use an anti-virus then try Nod32. It's well known for not using a lot of resources and still having a good detection rate.

9. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    I had nod32, then installed Avira and it found trojans.. :)

10. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #12 Daz, Dec 22, 2011
  11. searchengine

searchengine Guest

I run Win7 Ultimate 32 bit, and find combination of eset smart security v5 and sandboxie v3.62 suits my needs very well.

not heavy on resources, and adequate protection.

I do not advise cracked version of sandboxie, as hacked driver can cause BSOD occurences, I use the "paid for" version to unlock the options I like best, although free version is very good.

12. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    I'll try webroot + comodo firewall :)

13. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #15 Daz, Dec 22, 2011
    @ searchengine

Exactly. The free version of Sandboxie runs great and while things are running in your sandbox you don't need an anti-virus constantly scanning everything.

If a user was to install google Chrome then again, they don't need an anti-virus running 24/7 as chrome is sandboxed from the system. However, files you download in Chrome can then infect you only if you click on them. That'd be where I then launch any odd looking downloads in Sandboxie and if they infect the sandbox then you can simply press delete :)

As the saying goes, "the problem exists between keyboard and chair".

@ gabris[LT]
    Avast is another suggestion. It may or may not use less resources than Avira.

14. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    If you like to play with VM's then you won't even need sandboxie, you can run suspicious files in a vm

15. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Personally I use VM's sometimes, but keep in mind that his system probably won't run VM's fast enough.

16. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Aye 1 GB memory :whistle3:

17. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    sandboxie gives me a pain in the neck.......
    nice thread anyway,
    for myself, i would rather rely on a scanner.........
    you can`t keep on using resources for any old
    proggie if your machine is low on resources to
    begin with......

18. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    I've tried to launch XP SP3 in M$ virtual PC, system specs were: Pentium 4 HT 2.6GHz, 1GB RAM, it was unusable :D windows was loading for about 15minutes. after that control panel ~2minutes.... so on this oldie it's not the best solution cause it's running on ThinPC with Aero. and CPU is only 1.7GHz, I've read statistics of AV resources usage, and Avira is in top 3 of normal AV.... and in my opinion Avira uses a lot resources if to compare with AV in past 3-4 years, but old AV won't do any good, because its engine outdated, and its no longer supported. :)