avast! 8.0.1482 FINAL Released

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by CRA2YHAVOK, Feb 27, 2013.

1. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
    #1 CRA2YHAVOK, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. CRA2YHAVOK

Oct 23, 2009
    Updated the links to version - 8.0.1482

Apparently version 8.0.1481 posted yesterday had some BSOD bugs on Windows 8.

3. MrG

MrG MDL Addicted

May 31, 2010
    The first one that says Free is the only free one :p

4. im bored

im bored MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
    What the F$^#%@ is this new feature Software Updater? Avast really? And since when has Avast became a manager for other apps... In stead of adding useless features Avast should focus on making their definitions better. Last time I checked my Java knows how to check for an update all on its own. At least they were smart enough to include a STOP button to disable this.

5. CRA2YHAVOK

Oct 23, 2009
    Yeah I get what your saying, it's getting bloated but I just do a custom install & limit what gets installed.

6. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    Been using avast happily for many years. However its now time to ditch Avast.
    Avast v6 was the last version which i could temporarily disable on my system when using the bios mod and other scripting tools here. Versions 7 and 8 will always interfere with the bios modding tools even when disabled. Even worse avast keeps updating the program version to v8 even tho i have selected manual update within the avast settings. And why does Avast install additional features even tho you disable this in the custom install as disabled. What a shame that avast has gone from what i use to regard as a very good AV to a bloatware pile of **** which installs things without the users knowledge.
    Final straw was yesterday when it bricked my Fujistu laptop when doing a bios mod update. Had no choice but to do this in windows as the bios update util is only available in windows version. Luckily the laptop has a removal bios chip and i have a eprom programmer. Just proved that avast was interfering with the update even tho i have disabled avast.
    Disable avast - Bios update bricks
    Uninstall avast - Bios update success
    Tested on the same modded bios.

Conclusion - Get this buggy bloatware of my system

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Just about everything out there has too much stuff. This is the right approach, in my opinion. Read the install dialog closely and choose only what I want.

8. erpsterm35

erpsterm35 MDL Senior Member

May 27, 2013
    avast 8.0 build 1483 got released in early march almost two weeks after 1482 was released.
    though lately it's at build 1489.

I totally agree on doing custom installs, especially with any freeware programs out there.

9. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    It's not really freeware.

The issue with updating to version 8 really isn't an issue, the older versions are probably not supported any more. That is fair enough too, it's pretty much the same as any other antivirus out there.

The software updater feature is pretty basic, but it really shouldn't be an hindrance at all unless you don't actually have the latest versions of those software. Not having the latest versions of Flash, Acrobat Reader etc could leave you exposed to security risks. If you want to blame someone for having these new features, blame the typical user. Unless there is visible change they don't believe there is actually any change. The Avast Free Edition is great value for money though ;), if you are unhappy with it go and buy something else!