Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by x86, Sep 12, 2011.

1. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #1 x86, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
    What the title says ... list avatars (of fellow MDL members) that you like or dislike, accompanied by a reason for either case. A thread already exists on avatars / usernames, but it's purpose was different to what I intented here; hence I started a new one ;)

One thing I would like to point out is that this thread is not for people who wish to exercise their hate / hard feelings towards other members. Likes / Dislikes & any comments are aimed towards the avatar only; not the person behind it. My intention for this thread is to be a bit of a laugh / fun - hence it is under Chit Chat section. Therefore people should not take comments personally. If someone feels offended by any 'dislikes' made on their avatar - I apologise in advance on behalf of the poster - but please, also do your part by ignoring this thread.

OK, back on the main subject. Here are just a few come to mind:

I like acrsn's avatar as it almost makes me want to watch The Matrix again (already watched it twice over the years...)

I also like jayblok's avatar for being cool & ... sexy as is the real girl behind it :p

I don't really like frisbee66's avatar as whenever I look at it, it feels as if it's always pointed at me. Maybe it is, who knows :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    What do you think about my avatar?

3. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    At first glance it looks a bit confusing. Few seconds later I realised it's actually all letters to your user name cramped together ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    Good that you understood it is NAWZIL. It is not only my username, it is my real name.
    Many people ask me what is IAZ.

5. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    And my avatar?

lol ...

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I like self made avatars generally more than just copied pictures.
    To me the artistic expression is what counts.
    So Nawzil's and Josh's get +1 for it. (I personally like Josh's , I like organic round shapes.)

timesurfer's current one is very well made. Kudos to the creator whoever it has made.

I mean this one (TS changes it very frequently):
    [​IMG]

The color combination and idea are well realized and I like blue tones.

My current one I like because of the makeup and the girl. :D
    I didn't shoot that picture I just have made it animated (fade in / out) to underline her looking.
    I am familiar with the basics of PS, anyway I hadn't time to create my own Avatar yet. I am redesigning the MDL logo though.

Shenj's licking cat is simple, but I like the idea.
    jayblok's avatar is sexy and I like it.

Annoying to me are copied logos such as the windows logo or AMD logo. Cool logos are old school logos like commodore c-64.

7. evlad

evlad MDL Member

May 23, 2011
    Talking about avatars is like talking about food and habits ...
    I like hand made avatars (drawings or digital art).

8. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    My avatar hasn't been drawn by me, but I made a small change to it - which probably makes it more individual ;)

Once or twice I noticed that an avatar said more to me than the actual username.

9. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #9 x86, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
    (OP)
    I only mentioned three avatars so far, so I haven't even scratched the surface. Indeed there are so many worth mentioning and perhaps even more I haven't come across yet. An avatar can be clever, cool, mysterious ... sexy and so on! And yes, I agree that a custom made avatar has more 'weighting' and is more special. And in my opinion it should be kept that way i.e. people should not copy / alter other members' avatars (I ve seen that happening few times). Instead they should create their own, original work ;)

JC = Jeremy Clarkson :confused: :D

It is indeed. Personally I prefer the old one with the surfer / surfboard, black background & flashing lights. What's more interesting here is that both avatars match his user name spot on :worthy:

She looks of Asian-American origin and very dreamy. Speaking of Asian, the Vietnamese girl (I think!) in haiduongbros' avatar has a charming smile...

Yes, there are a few avatars that make you feel nostalgic - just like the one urie has. I used to have a C64 with all full extras i.e. external tape drive & floppy disk drive! Now I got an emulator for whenever I feel the need for a 'fix' :p

[EDIT]

Looking at it closer, it seems as if it holds something in its hand, but I can't figure out what it is ... is that the modification you made?

It's almost like in real life; the first impression of someone is usually made by judging their looks / appearance. Which can be tricky sometimes as appearances can be deceiving. Still, chances are that behind a clever avatar is a clever user (but again, not always!) :wacko:

10. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Agree with you x86, i'm a Matrix fan, in the past (not here :D)i had neo or Mr.Anderson username changing avatar with modified shots from movie...

The sense of the movie is what we will expect for the long future, moreover the main sense is another...

The most present members has a lot of nice avatars, i prefeer of course as Yen said, the hand made avatars, using copies or pics existing it tells nothing bout you...

THe funniest is dareckibmw one..
    and Yen's avatars are very creative and like the colors he's using......

:D:D

11. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Dareck's in love with his 540i :D

I would be as well (if I had one!). So why not that little cartoon character from Ice Age :biggrin:

12. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    :D ^^^^

[​IMG]

13. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    #13 jayblok, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    x86,i think your avatar is kool,like one of my favorite bands,BIOHAZARD

14. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Best avatar is c-dan's he is only person to put his real pic :eek: or I assume that is him.

15. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    i like this one:D great!!:p

Attached Files:

16. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    This is top class :rotflmao:

17. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    Thanks Yen.

18. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    lol :roflmao:

:laie:

19. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    If I knew how to make a nice one myself then I would. :(
    But for some reason did I almost never tried. :D

20. 60cent

60cent MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2011
    I like the avatar of mister Half man half biscuit,cause he´s always on the watch for bad people.
    BTW:

Lil Calimero rules