AVG Uninstall bricked my laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by WITB, Jan 9, 2020.

1. WITB

WITB MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2012
    Was going through a friends laptop which had 3 AV's installed on it. After successfully uninstalling Norton 360 and Avast, i moved on to AVG. Uninstall never completed and after waiting 30 minutes, i powered off. Now i get to the windows loading screen and it just hangs, same thing with all options under Advanced Boot Options. Safe Mode hangs at "Loaded: \Windows\System32\drivers\avgardisk.sys"
    No matter how i change boot options in the BIOS, this thing will never boot off of any USB stick i throw at it. Ive tried various manufacturers and sizes from 8GB to 64GB, Linux distros, Hirens Boot USB, and a Windows 7 ISO.
    I made a Windows 7 Repair Disk and put it on a CD-R and it wont boot. It will boot from a Hirens Boot CD i made. Ive used Rufus, Yumi and Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool etc.
    Im hoping to do a system restore prior to when i tried uninstalling AVG, any suggestions on how to accomplish this would be appreciated.
    I have some DVR+R disks coming in tomorrow and will try some of the bigger Linux distros just to easily backup some files to a USB flash drive.
    If using system restore isnt an option, ill try to backup files and do a clean install. May look at slapping Windows 10 on it at that point.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I read your fresh novel, but I didn't understand why you wrote it.
    Do you have a problem or just wanted to publish your fresh novel somewhere?
    Of course, reading was a problem, but to the end I realized that you are collecting an obsolete antivirus programs. Is that the point?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WITB

WITB MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2012
    Ive wrote longer novels...

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    It is impossible to figure out whether you want to restore something or do you want to make a restore point or backup?
    At first you said that you tried to uninstall AVG and after that the computer would not start.
    So what do you want? Try to express yourself in some way.
    Do You have backup copy or restore point or You want to make it?
    And if You want to make, then how, if You said that computer doesn't start no more?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. WITB

WITB MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2012
    Sorry if i wasnt clear. I sometimes try to cram to much info into a short post and it may have been confusing.
    I was able to boot the computer via the Hirens Boot CD but had problems with the WIndows 7 Repair Disk i had made.
    Maybe i grabbed a bad ISO, i dont know.
    So im looking for an alternative method to boot the laptop via the optical drive and use a restore point to restore it to a point before the attempting to uninstall AVG.

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  7. WITB

WITB MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2012
    #7 WITB, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    (OP)
    Thanks Enthousiast i guess i was hoping for a sure fire method to make that disk that would work on this Laptop. Or another MDL Utility that could do the same thing.
    So i tried burning another copy of the Windows 7 Repair Disk from another Windows 7 laptop and i get a Windows Boot Manager error screen:
    "A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

If you have a Windows installation disk, insert the disk and restart your computer. Click "Repair your computer", and then choose a recovery tool.

Otherwise, to start Windows so you can investigate further, press the ENTER key to display the boot menu, press F8 for Advanced Boot Options, and select Last Known Good...

Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

So from what ive read, a Windows 7 Repair Disk made on another PC, can be used on a different PC.
    Not sure why im seeing this error screen.

8. LittlePro

LittlePro MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2017
  9. WITB

WITB MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2012
    Littlepro thanks for the clarity. DVDR's are arriving in a few hours and that is the plan.
    I will follow up and post wether or not I'm able to get it restored.

10. LittlePro

Jan 19, 2017
    WITB : Greets,

1. The OS is UEFI + GPT or Legacy BIOS + MBR ?

If you are trying to repair / restore a UEFI OS, You have to boot into UEFI mode only & vice versa.

2. Besides, UEFI mode has a limitation that it can boot only in either x86 or x64 bit Installation media, ISO, etc. Most machines can only boot in x64 media in UEFI mode.

3. Windows 7 SP 1 Untouched M$ ISO can only boot from USB 2.0 port(s).

4. Did you try all the USB ports ? Some ports may be damaged or mulfunctioning, depending on various things.

5. There is an advantage with DVD / CD boot medias. They can boot in both UEFI & Legacy mode. Still If you want to repair an UEFI OS, you have to boot in UEFI mode & vice versa.
    Even using DVD / CD, in UEFI mode, Most machines will boot only in x64 media.

Thanks. ...

11. WITB

WITB MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2012
    Thanks for the info LittlePro, my responses in red above.

12. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Can you share the exact model? Checking the bios manual might be useful.

13. LittlePro

Jan 19, 2017
    #13 LittlePro, Jan 10, 2020
  14. WITB

WITB MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2012
    ASUS Laptop Model X543
    MB Version K54C
    Came with Windows 7 Home Premium OA

15. LittlePro

Jan 19, 2017
  16. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #17 kaljukass, Jan 10, 2020
    Something is wrong - this data does not fit any way with each other.
    ASUS Laptop X54C came with Windows 7, but ASUS Laptop X543 Windows 10.
    -------------------------

Any Windows 7 PC doesn't have on the back
    activation key, there's only the installation key.
    There cannot be never any retail key.

And at all - this whole story is somehow weird.
    Isn't it?

17. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
  18. WITB

WITB MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2012