Avira and the ask toolbar--geesh--what now?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by stayboogy, Jul 1, 2011.

1. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    anyone else upset about the prompt for the Ask toolbar install by Avira lately? looks like they've lost their edge in the free AntiVirus league due to this. i'd just install the bar but it schedules it's on updater automatically and this i do not like at all since i monitor every process on my machine while it's in use and it's just another useless, background process that i don't need or want running...

i'd just change to Avast, but it's a resource hog and without good reason.

anyone know how AVG is working these days? i haven't tried it in the last few months, but it always seemed to be alright. it has fewer options than the other two but it doesn't unnecessarily use up resources like Avast does.

i'm not willing to even give Comodo a chance. it's not done too well in the side by side infection tests i've seen, so i've written it off for at least a year probably lol.

free AntiVirus protection, what's your thoughts???

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Use MSE!!! ;) :D

3. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    i'm just not a fan of it, friend. to me, M$ is less than trustworthy when it comes to virus/malware/spyware protection.

d'you use it, Tito??? how long and do you prefer it over others??? my understanding is that it is to be used in connection with a good AV program, am i wrong???

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Well, I'm using it for a long time, actually since Windows Live Onecare!! ;)

It is completely a self-dependent av, minimum memory footprint, ever lasting (as long as u have a genuine MS os) :D

5. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Just unclick the boxes for ask :sith:...lol

No drama :eek:

6. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Avira is far better than MSE why would you want to downgrade the quality of product you use :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    i guess i'll give MSE a go for a bit.

i just wonder about it's trojan/riskware prevention/detection because i download a bunch of software from time to time and these are the most common things that i find...

8. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    you think? that's what this topic is for, to get some input from fellow geeks lol.

i'm just not happy with Avira's recent supporting of third party crapware. i like it other than that. and plus it just doesn't give the option to not install the ask toolbar as it prompts every boot for it, and i don't like the fact that the memory usage slow increases over time of Updater.exe that it self schedules in task scheduler when ask bar is installed. it's just ridiculous

9. evlad

evlad MDL Member

May 23, 2011
    at home I have small home LAN connected on internet through AP (Wireless).
    one is w7sp1x64 with winload from daz and mse
    second is genuine xp sp3 with avira
    third is genuine xp sp3 with mse
    I think that mse is better optimized with os than avira, but avira have some better detection and autorun stop. avira is x32 only; mse is x64 aplication

at job we use nod be with nod server and remote console. this is real stuff.
    week point of nod is when new update arrives and client compile updates...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Out of the box MSE is lighter but tweaked is another story entirely. Also in terms of detection rate Avira is better than quite a lot of stuff, Symantec, Kaspersky, Nod etc.

11. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Apparently if you say no 3 times after 3 reboots then you don't get nagged anymore. At least that's what I've read on my travels.

12. evlad

evlad MDL Member

May 23, 2011
    I've just uninstall the ask toolbar. It is a crap. free webguard slows my connection. any download was double checked ?! waste of time if you have real-time file protection.

about other free solutions:
    AVG is average but sometimes It causes crash of os :( often his service occupied 100% the processor...
    Avast 5 have poor detection.
    comodo have good (one of the best) firewall but AV module is week.

avira is the best at the moment without ask toolbar !

my advice for safe browse:
    communication device with NAT or hardware FIREWALL
    on computer:
    (1) avira personal + comodo firewall
    (2) ff5.0 + adblock plus + ghostery

13. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    i can't verify this, but on my XP i've still got it installed without the toolbar so i'll have to check to see if that's the case after i boot to three or more times.

14. ghfujianbin

ghfujianbin MDL Junior Member

Aug 5, 2010
    I just switched to avast! (file system shield and script shield only), which is light on my system. It's a pity I have to leave avira which accompanied me for 3 years. Hope they will realize their mistake, and then I might switch back.

15. ghfujianbin

ghfujianbin MDL Junior Member

Aug 5, 2010
    That can be confirmed, I've seen this in their official forum too. But you still get ask.com related thing clinging to the avira folder if I remember correctly.

16. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  17. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
  18. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I will ruin my experience by dl'ing the latest product from avira then I'll complain about ask like you

Brb...lol

19. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    lol; was just telling you why you haven't been prompted for it. apparently ask is not the only partner they have @ the moment. i've seen quite a few posts about some registry cleaner program they are pushing now too. Avira must be going broke. the whole ask bar is so that if you use it to search, Avira is getting a little cut of every link you click on from those search results, so they must not be satisfied by letting people use it without making some sort of profit...

20. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Bro just updated product and updated and rebooted 3 times got no BS ask msg

lol