Avira TURNS ON my system restore in XP--how to TURN this OFF???

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by stayboogy, Aug 19, 2011.

1. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    I have my system restore turned off in group policy, I even have the ability to configure it turned off in group policy as well.

Avira free edits these policies and turns on my system restore in Windows XP every time I perform a scan.

there is no setting in the configuration gui that relates to this, but i'm pissed about it because there is never any need whatsoever to ever have system restore on, i do not ever use, will never use, and have no desire whatsoever to ever have it turned on or even for the ability for it to be turned on available.

so how do I keep Avira from doing it automatically on its own without any input from me???

please help?

2. 60cent

60cent MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2011
    If it makes so much problems why don´t you try avast or other anti virus programs that aren´t making restore points?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    dislike all other free anti-virus products. Avira has the highest detection rate of all the others...

avast sucks, resource hog even on fast, capable machine
    avg has a low detection rate
    MSE is really minimal in my opinion.

don't suggest other programs i'm looking for a solution to the problem i posted... if i wanted another i'd use another--self explanatory...

4. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #4 x86, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    I think its just bad software design. User should have full control of what they want / don't want regarding such settings. For example, Spybot detects whether Security Center is disabled (as a potential threat) but asks the user if they want re-enabling it; it doesn't actually force you to re-enable it. This is good software design...