Avoid KB2524375 which updates the certificate revocation list???

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Whiznot, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I am not installing this update until I know it's safe. I don't think there would be a problem with my BIOS mod but the update description is reason for concern.

2. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    I'm not sure why you think this would be a problem. Certificate Revocation Lists are there to enable Windows to check at the Issuing Certificate Authority's site for revoked SSL or Authentication Certficates. This will have nothing to do with a BIOS mod.

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    It is for security certificates absolutely nothing to do with .xrm-ms certificates or windows activation.

4. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. I will install.

5. randomboy

randomboy MDL Junior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Applied in morning . Have had no probs till now

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. mandgeo

mandgeo MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2011
    I think, but i'm not sure, that after i've installed kb2524375, around 24 of march 2011, started to get "not genuine" messages. And that's on the only pc i've installed this update.

The thing is that control panel/system sais my w7 is genuine and ms wga check also. I only get a splash window when i start the pc.

I've used chew wga (for a long time), tried daz's loader (didn't worked in my case / slic toolkit cannot dump table) and now i'm using chew 7 (witch i think is related to chew wga, but i still get this splash message).

My noob advice, keep away from this update. I don't think that MS always tells the truth about theyr updates ;).

8. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    My advice is that this update is harmless. What happened to mandgeo was just coincidence and he probably downloaded an update that could detect Chew WGA at the same time as he downloaded kb2524375.

9. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #10 zahnoo, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
    Shortly after I get up every morning, the sun comes up; that's been happening for damn near 65 years. The world best hope I live a lot longer since obviously my waking up every morning is causing the sun to rise. Post hoc ergo propter hoc :rolleyes:

10. Drakonas

Drakonas MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2011
    I actually can confirm that this is a problem. I have never had a problem to date with Daz's loader. I was working on someone's laptop today (system restore, messed up screen, typical stuff), and Windows Updates were available. I originally installed a BIE release on this laptop (I know better now :) ) I found this forum topic, and thought the certificate update was fine. But, low and behold, on reboot, the infamous "Windows is not genuine" popped up on login.

Just a warning, I think the guy is right. No matter what loader I use, it has errors. For example, with Daz's Loader, I get a "Certificate wasn't successfully installed" error. I have Hazar's loader (which was default in BIE release) uninstalled, though for some reason it was already uninstalled when I ran Hazar's loader the first time.

I have experience with Daz's loader, with the same BIE Windows 7 disc. I have Daz's loader working with my BIE installed laptop. Something is wrong here.

http www . microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/2524375.mspx

11. Dre009

Dre009 MDL Addicted

Oct 26, 2009
    #12 Dre009, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
    I think you need to more research on this update before you jump to such a conclusion.
    This update has nothing to do with the OEM certificates...this has to deal with Internet browsers with Online Certificate Status Protocol turned on mainly Internet Explorer affected by the man-in-the-middle attacks.

In the situation you explained about, its likely you had a tampered file and Windows downloaded KB971033 because it suspected that you system was genuine and hens you were flagged as not genuine.

12. Drakonas

Drakonas MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2011
    #13 Drakonas, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
    Yeah, I apologie. I did jump to conclusions. It makes sense that the update applies to Internet browser's certificate revocation/security checks. I just wanted to believe that was the problem.

Does Windows really do that so suddenly? Jeez. Another thing I have to deal with. lol.

Thanks for the information. I can probably fix this now, though it may take half an hour. *sighs*

Thanks again.

Edit: Wait a sec. Windows update KB971033 isn't installed on this computer. I checked the update history.

Any ideas?

13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  14. willpower101

willpower101 MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2011
    Since there seems to be a lot of knowledge in this thread I wanted to go ahead and ask a quick question. Are there ANY updates I should avoid on a bios mod? Or can I just click to install all updates, including optional, and forget it?