avoiding bios verification

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by sys92, Mar 6, 2008.

1. sys92

sys92 MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2008
    Hi,

I want to know if it's possible to avoid the verification before flashing a BIOS to a motherboard, in special the asus p5e (e.g. with afudos).

The background is that I want to flash the BIOS of the Maximus Formula to a P5E because the Maximus BIOS is more perfected then the p5e's one.

I hope for a parameter for afudos or a similar program.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Fzeven

Fzeven MDL Guru

May 8, 2007
    You could take a look at uniflash.
    If it has support for the flashrom than there is a chance to crossflash it.

3. sys92

sys92 MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2008
    hi Fzeven,

sadly, the Bios Chip (Atmel0729 26DF161) is not supported by the tool :(

any other idea?

4. freddyzdead

freddyzdead MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2008
    Uniflash is the most flexible flash program; trouble is, it hasn't been updated for a long time, so it doesn't support newer flash chips. However, you can configure it for a chip it knows about, and then hot-swap it once it's ready. (Hot-swap means you take the original chip out of its socket and then put it back lightly, so it's just barely making contact, so you can pull it out easily when you're ready, and replace it with the blank one.)

You don't have to use the same flash chip as the original. Just make sure that you use one that Uniflash supports, and that it is compatible with the original as far as voltages, pinouts, etc. Flash ROMs usually all look the same to the system in read mode, but you wouldn't be able to flash it in-circuit anymore.

Hot-swapping is not a trivial pastime, and disaster comes pretty easily. I only do this when there's no other alternative. But it has got me out of some very tight jams. You can even flash something that isn't bios at all, in other words, use it as an emergency ROM burner. So, beware; Uniflash doesn't check whether what you're about to flash will actually work.

I have an old motherboard I keep just for this purpose, as it has both types of socket and it is nicely laid out for hot-swapping, which you have to do in one swift motion, without inducing any contact bounce, else it will probably freeze the system.

Flashing a motherboard with any "foreign" bios is asking for disaster, btw. You would be lucky if it boots up at all. So if you do this, save the original bios chip so you can go back. I'm assuming the bios chip is in a socket. If not, you're probably fecked.

-freddy