Azure Stack HCI #HYPER-V 2022 FREE Personnal Use Only !

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by pm67310, Oct 7, 2021.

1. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Interesting possibilities

2. JLBENEDICT

JLBENEDICT MDL Junior Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Since I will be putting new hardware in place in my lab, this will give me opportunity to give this HCI stack a run ..

3. Hacker?pcs

Hacker?pcs MDL Member

May 28, 2009
    Is there MSDN ISOs of Azure Stack HCI? Or only via UUP?

Also what's the functional differences of Azure Stack HCI vs regular Server Core?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hacker?pcs

Hacker?pcs MDL Member

May 28, 2009
    I do care so if you don't know, don't answer with meaningless posts, I didn't quote or mention you personally nor this is your thread.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

Learn to deploy, ISOs are almost meaningless things since vista was released.
    If you think my valuable infos are meaningless for you, just skip my messages, no one forces you to read them.

6. Hacker?pcs

Hacker?pcs MDL Member

May 28, 2009
    I know how to deploy, that's different and I asked something specific which you didn't provide anything valuable to the discussion and instead replied "I couldn't care less", it's not bad if you don't know something

7. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

I just replied I don't know, and I don't know just because I never wasted my time looking for a pointless thing.

All files from UUPs are coming from MS servers not from a hacker's garage, the the script to assemble the ISO is maintained by some of the best IT GUIs around, and it's easily readable. It's not an obscure binary blob.

So where's the need of an "original" ISO? It's YOUR question that is meaningless, not MY reply.

8. Hacker?pcs

Hacker?pcs MDL Member

May 28, 2009
    Do you see my join date on the site that's 2009? What do you think, I don't know all these things you are saying?

There is value in having hash-validated original Microsoft ISOs, there is reason links are widely provided in the site. I didn't ask for your opinion on the ISOs though, please don't continue spamming

9. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Value is a relative concept. If you are in the middle of a desert a glass of water has more value than a diamond.

So an ISO has more value if you are in hurry and connected to a high speed network and prefer a larger download.

on the other hand if you are on limited data like a 3/4/5G cellular connection, or on a slow network, a way smaller download has surely more value than a single click download.

Remember the world is analogue, is not black or white.

10. SunLion

SunLion MDL Senior Member

May 11, 2011
    Good morning everyone!

Sorry if the question is silly, but I'm new to servers:

How to make "SConfig" not start automatically?

I appreciate any help!

11. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    I think is a line in the registry under the key alternateshell, just delete it or adjust it to your liking

12. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    already work with latest windows 11 insider build matching hci insider build

13. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    *reserved

14. RamGuy

RamGuy MDL Member

Jun 27, 2009
    I'm revamping my home server. It runs Windows Server 2022, but I mostly use it for Hyper-V, Storage Spaces, File Sharing, Torrenting and Plex:

[X] File and Storage Services
    [X] File and iSCSI Services
    [X] File Server
    [X] Data Deduplication
    [X] File Server Resource Manager
    [X] File Server VSS Agent Service
    [X] Storage Services
    [X] Hyper-V
    [X] .NET Framework 3.5 Features
    [X] .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)
    [X] .NET Framework 4.8 Features
    [X] .NET Framework 4.8
    [X] WCF Services
    [X] TCP Port Sharing
    [X] BitLocker Drive Encryption
    [X] Host Guardian Hyper-V Support
    [X] Remote Server Administration Tools
    [X] Feature Administration Tools
    [X] BitLocker Drive Encryption Administration
    [X] BitLocker Drive Encryption Tools
    [X] Role Administration Tools
    [X] Hyper-V Management Tools
    [X] Hyper-V GUI Management Tools
    [X] Hyper-V Module for Windows PowerShell
    [X] File Services Tools
    [X] File Server Resource Manager Tools
    [X] System Data Archiver
    [X] Windows PowerShell
    [X] Windows PowerShell 5.1
    [X] Windows PowerShell 2.0 Engine
    [X] WoW64 Support
    [X] XPS Viewer

I'm tempted to go with Azure Stack HCI as it looks like Windows Server Acore. It seems to be able to provide all the same features I need, just without a GUI, with a much lower footprint and much faster boot. I tested Azure Stack HCI as a Hyper-V VM on Windows Server 2022 by getting the latest 22H2 ISO using UUP dumps from Adguard, and it looks identical to Windows Server Acore to me. I could enable all the desired features, and Plex installed just fine. The only thing that has me confused is licensing. It doesn't seem to ask for anything during installation, nothing after installation. Will it die after 60 days, or will it keep going forever as long as I run it locally, never connecting it to Azure in any way? I planned to control it using Windows Admin Center, Powershell and RDP.

15. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

IIRC Server aAcore has no wlan service, nor RRAS. So HCI is better

16. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    activation are forever

17. RobrPatty

RobrPatty MDL Expert

Jul 23, 2009
    If you're talking about Server Manager always loading on boot. Just go to top right click on manage then Server Manager Properties. In new window check "Do not start Server Manager at logon."

screenshot_1.png

18. SunLion

SunLion MDL Senior Member

May 11, 2011
    Thank you for your help!

I found the way, thanks to freddie-o [Convert Windows Server to Workstation (Offline)]:

echo == disable server manager from launching at logon ==
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTHIVE\Microsoft\ServerManager" /v "DoNotOpenServerManagerAtLogon" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    :)