Backed up my Cert and Key... now what?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by donalgodon, Aug 3, 2010.

1. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I have Windows 7 Home Premium installed and I want to do a clean install of either Home Premium or Professional from a Digital River download ISO. I have backed up my Cert and Key using the tool found here on the forum, but now I'm not 100% sure what steps to take.

I simply want to reformat the HD and install a fresh OS without all the bloatware (Asus UL30) and I'd like to get by without using a Loader just for peace of mind. Can my Cert and Key allow me to pass validation using Professional if I had Home Premium, or am I stuck with the choice of Loader or upgrade purchase?

How/when do I restore the Cert and Key files? Do I need to use the Key file to install the OS from the ISO/DVD I made, or how does that work?

I'm sorry. I just don't fully understand the Cert/Key/Activation process, even after I read the thread. Why is my Cert number different from the one on the bottom of my computer?

What is the easiest way to get validated in W7 Professional using my SLIC? OR is that not possible?

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    You want to use professional or home premium? make up your mind. You cant use home premium key to any other versions then home premium.
    Use the certificate and either pro key or home premium key..

use daz's loader to install proper certificate and key.

3. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    #3 donalgodon, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
    (OP)
    What I'm trying to understand relates to this:

"In the "SLIC Diagnosis" section, check if the version is "2.1", and check that there is no red color in the fields "PubKey", "Marker" and "Digital Signature".
    If the version is not "2.1" (e.g. "2.0"), or if there is text in red color, then you need to use a loader (or to mod your BIOS).
    Otherwise, if you do have SLIC 2.1, then you just need to install a certificate that matches your SLIC, and a valid OEM SLP key. Check out the instructions in section 6-F to install a certificate and a key."

I have 2.1 and everything is green, so that means that I can just install any version I want with a key and cert from the forum section and use no loader?

The Cert comes from my computer and the key I need from the OEM list to install Professional, correct?

Is that correct?

4. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    1. You dont have to use loader no beacuse your computer already has slic 2.1..
    2. You can copy that certificate and use it yes, not the HP key ofcourse!. Home premium keys doesnt work on professional or any other version, grab one from OEMSLP key thread.

5. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    If your computer came with any version of win7 then you already have slic 2.1 in the bios. You do not need a loader to activate. Just insert the OEM:Slp key for which version you want and a matching cert for your bios. The one you backed up you can insert again. Then you will be activated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #6 911medic, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I inserted the Key and Cert that I backed up using the toolkit and it did not activate. I used the DAZ Loader, but I'd prefer to really activate if possible. When I tried to activate using the key, it gave me an error and refused to activate, suggesting that I call MS.

No, thanks. I'd prefer to get help here. You guys know more than they do.

Thanks.

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    You need to run all as admin, even if you load up a command prompt.

The loader is a bit confusing, there is two ways these work, as a loader and as a cert/serial installer..mine is a simple script that is only an installer, you can install by hand the same way..I use the slmgr.vbs just with a bat script.

9. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Daz loader will activate!

First it installs key and certificate and then checks if ur activated and if not it installs loader (if im not totally wrong).

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    its the "...then it installs the loader" that messes people up. The best way is to attempt to verify the correct components are present and add the serial/cert 'manually'...this takes all the "maybe I have a loader or maybe I don't" questions out of the equation...certainly for a person not as adept at the activation schema as some..

For the skill level necessary to load them manually, it make little sense to use the loader tools if you are looking for oem activation IMO..Once you understand the intricacies of the activation process, short cut tools are perfect...

11. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    As far as I know in the latest version, yes Daz's loader will install the key/cert, but not the actual loader if SLIC2.1 is found. Previously you had to use the "Bios Mod" option.

I use Daz's loader to re-activate machines with SLIC2.1 (just to insert key/cert). Turn-key operation.

12. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Yep i know and thats what i ment:)

13. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    I was just confirming your experiance.
    :)

14. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    So, just to clarify. The default that the Daz Loader does is to simply install the cert and key without the loader when the BIOS already has 2.1?

I think I got it, if that's correct.

15. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    That is correct.

16. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Thanks to all who offered advice and answers here!