Backing Up Windows 7 Activation - Help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bigdogchris, Dec 19, 2011.

1. bigdogchris

bigdogchris MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2011
    #1 bigdogchris, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
    I've been reading on backing up Windows 7 activation and am confused. I read to backup windows\system32\spp\tokens\pkeyconfig\pkeyconfig.xrm-ms, windows\system32\oem\oem-cert.xrm-ms, and also that extracting tokens.dat from the software projection platform folder. Which is it? What is the benefit if any of backing up those particular files?

What I'm looking to do is to get the certificate that I can throw in the $OEM$ folder to make my own factory activated reinstallation CD. I'm not looking for any type of hack jobs/loaders - real deal only.

I've used tokens manager but that only gives me the .dat file and not the certificate. It seems like a big pain to extract the cert. Is there an easier way to get the cert to create your own disc?

Thanks

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. bigdogchris

bigdogchris MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2011
    Thank you.

So for the past couple years when people tell you to backup the activation by grabbing the pkeyconfig from system32/spp/tokens/pkeyconfig folder; it does nothing for reactivating/preactivating a disc?

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Actually that procedure works for all licensing versions except volume KMS. But you need to restore the file on the same machine (w/o any significant hardware change) by a script or program.

On the other hand, the $OEM$ can be used by the OEMs to preserve only OEM:SLP activation :)

5. bigdogchris

bigdogchris MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2011
    Does grabbing the windows\system32\spp\tokens\pkeyconfig\pkeyconfig.xrm-ms, then throwing that into the sources\$oem$\$$\system32\oem\ folder work for reactiving as well, as long as you reuse the same product key?

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  7. bigdogchris

bigdogchris MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2011
    Pulled out the cert with the SLIC Toolkit and created an autounattend with WSIM to install the key. Worked perfectly on two machines. Thank you! :worthy: