Backup, Backup, Backup

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Dave101, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Dave101

Dave101 MDL Junior Member

Feb 27, 2014
    I am trying to find a windows backup program to script that I can use to do the following:
    Only backup specific file types .docx .jpg etcc.
    Backup to a SMB share //fileserver1/%computer name%/%Username%
    Be able to do incremental backups
    And set backup times

If anyone knows of a tool or script that can do the list above please tell me or point me in the right direction, many thanks in advance for your help.

Other info
    Windows server 2008 r2
    Windows sever 2012

client mashiens
    windows 7 pro
    windows 8 pro

2. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    #2 Palladin, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    xcopy is a pretty easy way to do it, although there are others (robocopy). There would be two stages. One for the initial copy and the subsequent one for changed files. It might look something like this:

First pass
    C:\>xcopy c:\*.xls /s /i x:\foo
    C:\>xcopy c:\*.docx /s /i x:\foo
    C:\>xcopy c:\*.jpg /s /i x:\foo

Subsequent pass (note the /d to copy only changed files, don't need the /i here, /y suppresses the prompt to overwrite existing files)

C:\>xcopy c:\*.xls /s /d /y x:\foo
    C:\>xcopy c:\*.docx /s /d /y x:\foo
    C:\>xcopy c:\*.jpg /s /d /y x:\foo

Some other options to consider, /h /z, /b, /j but probably aren't needed.

You could run this at startup,or use the at command to schedule it to run every day, or you can specify which days/times to run. Type at /? (in a command prompt) to see the different options.

There are some pretty sharp batch file writers here on MDL, and they could probably offer a much more elegant solution than this quickie.

3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I use this one in my nightly backup jobs:

robocopy /r:0 /w:0 /e /b /copyall /purge \\%source_machine\path% \\%backup_machine\path%

robocopy /? will give you a humongous list of options, the important ones here are
    /e - copy all folders from source including empty
    /b - use "backup" methods in case somebody has a file open
    /copyall - include all security information
    /purge - if a file doesn't exist anymore, get rid of it from the backup (this option is risky, unless you rotate the media on a regular basis)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. geier20001

geier20001 MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2010
    Robocopy and xcopy can do incremental backup? :confused:

You can use Cobian Backup (please google URL, < 20 posts). It's freeware, can do incremental or differential backups. You can configure Cobian to run as a service so the user havn't to be logged in. Finally it uses VSS an can backup files which are in use (not usefull for databases etc. ;) ).

5. Dave101

Feb 27, 2014
    Im going to take a look at all of them thanks for your suggestions

6. joedanver

joedanver MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2014
    You should try CloudBacko. It can do incremental backup, scheduling, cloud backup and many other options.
    Win servers and desktop are supported.

7. Dave101

Feb 27, 2014
    Apreacate the input, but cloudbacko doesn't really help me its more a product for sale that a script or tool.

8. Jack900

Jack900 MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2014
    I also searching a good backup solution......:rifle: :rocket:

9. Dave101

Feb 27, 2014
    I found that the backup tools built into windows are better that anything else (robo copy), the only problem i have (and its my problem) i woudnt mind being able to completlty hide the CMD script. once i am able to learn how i shall use that as it does everything necessary.

10. TimmieNet

TimmieNet MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2012
    For my file backups, I have a robocopy script saved as a .bat file, then use task scheduler to run it daily and I have the "Hidden" checkbox ticked in the general options of the task. This lets the copy run but without opening a cmd window.

11. dj-nitehawk

dj-nitehawk MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2013
    for something like this, my weapon of choice would be: 2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbpro.html